Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22 rimfire high velocity ammo

22 rimfire high velocity ammo

Hi all.ive just tried some cci stingers.they shot between 1 and 1.5 inch 5 shot groups at 100yds.is there any other hv stuff worth trying.atb swaro

I spent a lot of the autumn trying different HV rounds.

None will group as well as subs - so it's a question of finding one that groups well enough for your purposes.

I settled on cci velocitors. Grouping at 75 was around an inch - just about good enough to head shoot bunnies to 100 and body shoot to 125 and possibly a bit beyond.

However, what sold them to me was the terminal performance on foxes and hares. Very impressive indeed.

People do have trouble getting them to feed in cz rifles - and I had a bit of that, but it was actually a magazine problem that was easily solved.

The only other one I would actually rate as being accurate enough to use was Remington 32 gr yellow jackets.

The revelation to me after so long using subs was just how much flatter the trajectories are. Really no thought involved to 80 yards and beyond.

Since I have extremely poor depth perception and find distance estimation at night extremely difficult, I've now totally abandoned subs and only shoot HV.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I spent a lot of the autumn trying different HV rounds.

None will group as well as subs - so it's a question of finding one that groups well enough for your purposes.

I settled on cci velocitors. Grouping at 75 was around an inch - just about good enough to head shoot bunnies to 100 and body shoot to 125 and possibly a bit beyond.

However, what sold them to me was the terminal performance on foxes and hares. Very impressive indeed.

People do have trouble getting them to feed in cz rifles - and I had a bit of that, but it was actually a magazine problem that was easily solved.

The only other one I would actually rate as being accurate enough to use was Remington 32 gr yellow jackets.

The revelation to me after so long using subs was just how much flatter the trajectories are. Really no thought involved to 80 yards and beyond.

Since I have extremely poor depth perception and find distance estimation at night extremely difficult, I've now totally abandoned subs and only shoot HV.
    That's not exactly true. Many will group as well or better. The trick is to stay away from hyper velocity rounds with short bearing surfaces. (Stinger, Yellow Jacket) Velocitor is powerful but not overly accurate in most weapons. A couple not-so radical offerings (1250 fps) would be CCI Blazer and CCI Mini Mag. My Brno's routinely shoot sub MOA with these rounds at 100 yards. I would suggest Aguila SE Hi Velocity but I know those are unavailable in the UK. My favorite.~Muir

Hi andy, ive tried yellow jackets before and they were awful,ive got some mini mags but I didnt think they were expanding, ive also tried them 60gr aguilas subs, they were terrible, worst I've tried,I used up all the stingers I had left playing, must be 7 or 8 years since I tried some hv's in my cz 452, I agree mungo with the ranging in the lamp,ive just got permission back on a golf coarse I shot at for 13 or more years and want flatter shooting ,I stopped going there because they kept letting others out there, I can use my other rifles there but I dont want too for time being.

Not sure on prices per 100 either, must of been 10 years since ive bought any hv's, eley subs are nearly £10 a 100, not sure what my local shop has, the good thing about the stingers they were bang on line and I had to lower by 3 moa at 100yds with 60yd eley subs zero, easy adjustment back wthout a rezero

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    That's not exactly true. Many will group as well or better. The trick is to stay away from hyper velocity rounds with short bearing surfaces. (Stinger, Yellow Jacket) Velocitor is powerful but not overly accurate in most weapons. A couple not-so radical offerings (1250 fps) would be CCI Blazer and CCI Mini Mag. My Brno's routinely shoot sub MOA with these rounds at 100 yards. I would suggest Aguila SE Hi Velocity but I know those are unavailable in the UK. My favorite.~Muir
    You're absolutely right - I should have qualified by saying 'of the pitifully poor range I could get my hands on, none shot as well as subs!"

Eley have just announced a couple of new loads with 42-grain bullets: an HV version (1,200 FPS) and a subsonic version.

They're billed as having been designed primarily with semi-autos in mind, but I don't think that's likely to make them any less good with manual guns.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

The best HV .22lr I've used is Lapua Speed Ace - It shoots very well in my rifles.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Hi andy, ive tried yellow jackets before and they were awful,ive got some mini mags but I didnt think they were expanding, ive also tried them 60gr aguilas subs, they were terrible, worst I've tried,I used up all the stingers I had left playing, must be 7 or 8 years since I tried some hv's in my cz 452, I agree mungo with the ranging in the lamp,ive just got permission back on a golf coarse I shot at for 13 or more years and want flatter shooting ,I stopped going there because they kept letting others out there, I can use my other rifles there but I dont want too for time being.
    The Aguila 60 grain subs are for a 1:9" twist. If they perform at all from a CZ 1-16" twist it's a blessing. My 453 Heavy Barrel didn't shoot them even at 25M but I have an old Brno#2 that shoots them well to 60 yards. I have custom 1:9" twists for serious accuracy work when I use them. As to expansion: All of these use a swaged, pure lead slug. The "copper" on the Mini Mags is largely colored wax with copper powder in suspension. I've killed a lot of game with them. And I believe the target depicted below was CCI Mini Mags at 100 using a Leupold rimfire scope set to 3X from that same Brno. The real powerhouse in 22LR is the Aguila Interceptor: A 40 grain bullet at 1510 fps. Our JAYB did some of the prototype R&D testing of that ammo. Accurate and powerful.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Hi all.ive just tried some cci stingers.they shot between 1 and 1.5 inch 5 shot groups at 100yds.is there any other hv stuff worth trying.atb swaro
    Give RWS high velocity a try, they shoot superb through my CZ. Five rounds at 100 yards could be covered by a single small patch. Though not high velocity I have achieved the same results in the past with Eley match ammo (black box). The Eley was used solely for target shooting. I can't say that I have ever been very impressed by stinger and certainly not by any of the stuff that Remington offer.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.