17 wsm

just wondering if any body has one ,what do the guys in the states think.

They are having major problems with the ammunition. Our trading post has 4 Savage rifles they will sell very inexpensively because of the lack of ammo. One is 2nd hand from a customer who returned it after not being able to get ammunition for 6 months. I shot a few rounds through one last spring. Meh! I have a 5mm Remington Mag so this didn't seem so special.~Muir

But as far as I'm aware there's no plans to bring the cartridge over here, not that I'm worried, it won't do anything my .22 hornet wont do :D

Savage has a Semi Auto 17 WSM coming out.

I think Savage's gun (A17) is in .17 HMR not .17 WSM.

Is there another one I haven't seen?

I'm guessing the ammo drought was due to available resources and manufacturing capacity being used to cope with panic buying of .22LR -and the resulting uplift in .17HMR demand- pushing .17WSM well down the list of priorities for Winchester and CCI, especially in view of the reported case-forming and accuracy issues.

100% Savage has a new semi auto 17WSM coming out I will see if I can find the info when I get back from the range ...

I think Savage's gun (A17) is in .17 HMR not .17 WSM.

Is there another one I haven't seen?

I'm guessing the ammo drought was due to available resources and manufacturing capacity being used to cope with panic buying of .22LR -and the resulting uplift in .17HMR demand- pushing .17WSM well down the list of priorities for Winchester and CCI, especially in view of the reported case-forming and accuracy issues.

...a 5mm Rem Mag!!! People talk about overbore, but that has to take 1st prize!

Really? That is one term I've not yet heard to describe the 5mm Remington. I always thought it was a nicely balanced cartridge in both proportion and ballistics. It does have some reach though. The thing in the grass is the motorcycle I was leaning across when I shot the prairiedog off of the mound I'm standing on. Not bad for a rimfire....~Muir
longestshotofthedayred.jpg%7E320x480

Ruger had a M77/17 WSM prototype using hornady ammo at the shot show & Savage has a Semi Auto 17 WSM coming out , very interesting ..

I heard about these, and that Hornady is going to produce ammo. I have two issues with this. First, considering the track record Hornady has had with their 17HMR and the splits and cracks and blown heads, does anyone really want to put their face behind a similar cartridge generating upwards of 50% more chamber pressure? Second, it really pi$$es me off that Hornady embarks on this project while dragging their feet on getting their regular production up and running. I know Money is Money and at the S.H.O.T. and you always like to have something new to announce, but in Hornady's case it's a lot like boasting of the new white-wall tires you've ordered for the auto with the leaky transmission. Try buying 22WMR in the US. Virtually impossible. I saw ONE ten-box brick of CCI last week and it was sold out in 2 hours. The same dealer had 2 bricks of CCI Standard Velocity 22LR. That was all the rimfire he had except ever present 17HMR. So now they are tooling up for an entirely differnent round -both in dimension and engineering and one that people so far have given a luke warm reception to -while we have rifles that are lying idle for lack of ammunition.

Frustrating stuff.~Muir

Muir is referring to the 5mm Rimfire Magnum an obsolete cartridge not one based on a shortened 375H&H case!

Ian.

I wondered about that!
It's not entirely obsolete. One company here still produces it, at least.
With a 30 grain HP at 2550 it sends the 17HMR packing.~Muir

ThompsonCenterandammoRED.jpg%7E320x480

Last edited:
lol when i first started reading this thread i was imagining a necked down win mag case! now that would have been a barrel burner!:D

I believe the parent case is based on a nail gun not on a WMR case so hopefully the annealing issue will not apply

They are having major problems with the ammunition. Our trading post has 4 Savage rifles they will sell very inexpensively because of the lack of ammo. One is 2nd hand from a customer who returned it after not being able to get ammunition for 6 months. I shot a few rounds through one last spring. Meh! I have a 5mm Remington Mag so this didn't seem so special.~Muir

Slightly off topic but can't you import .22rf ammunition from Europe or UK?

Back