Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey hunting along the Medway in Kent...

Turkey hunting along the Medway in Kent...

This weekend the PM family visited some friends in Kent, but still within the London urban sprawl. They're thinking of moving to somewhere more rural, perhaps in one of the nicer Medway towns like Faversham. Spotting an opportunity for a return to my old wildfowling squelching ground, I said:
    _ Great! We could come and stay with you at the weekend and I could take your husband wildfowling!
    _ You want to take him hunting?
    _ Well why not, it would be fun, we could take your son too.
    _ I don't know, why not? It would be good if you brought back a turkey or something.

At which point Mrs PM looked at me, replayed what she'd just heard in her mind, then burst out laughing. "A turkey??!". "Well I don't know, whatever they hunt there." answered our friend. "I'm going to have to learn more about the countryside, aren't I?".

Yes, yes I think I may buy you a book on birds and wildlife.

I can't remember if I read it here or elsewhere but someone has some ground near a turkey farm in the UK and has a resident population of wild turkeys that escaped years ago. I thought this was going to be a similar story but turned out much funnier!

Well not completely daft - I do know of one shoot in Scotland where on occasion Turkeys have been released and driven off high banks over the guns! Not sure how sporting that is though.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Not daft at all. A roving syndicate I was part of used to take a let day on a shoot just to the north of Basingstoke where they had released turkeys alongside the more usual pheasant and partridge. They would take off and come over (and sometimes through) the gunning line, but the fine for shooting one tended to stay the trigger finger. I've seen turkeys many times in the US (mostly in Connecticut).

Faversham is a nice town, with none of the "Islington-on-Sea" feeling that Whitstable seems to have picked up in recent years. Faversham is still home to the Shepherd Neame brewery but when I first lived there Fremlins also had a brewery in the town, sadly long gone now Some nice pubs in the town and surrounding countryside, but many have been converted to gastropubs in order to survive. The happy evenings at the Mounted Rifleman (Faversham) and the Hog & Donkey (Marshside) are now a thing of the past.

Obviously some good wildfowling to be had on the marshes out at Oare and beyond, with driven shooting on a number of the nearby farms and estates as well as the possibility of fallow and roe stalking.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

On another forum there was a picture of a turkey shot on a pheasant drive. I have seen guinea fowl and peacocks come over the Guns on a drive. Fortunately I was a mere beater or I would have been tempted at a much larger and slower target than a pheasant.

Blackpowder

After 5 bottles of this any of the Faversham wildlife might be mistaken for turkey:
    1698 Bottle Conditioned Ale | Shepherd Neame

I like Faversham as the Council try damn hard to keep the town on its uppers but they have their work cut out as the creeping tide of charity shops attests.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackpowder View Post
    On another forum there was a picture of a turkey shot on a pheasant drive. I have seen guinea fowl and peacocks come over the Guns on a drive. Fortunately I was a mere beater or I would have been tempted at a much larger and slower target than a pheasant.

Blackpowder
    An American wild turkey can get up and fly like a pheasant, though they usually set their wings like a quail after a while and glide into a landing in the woods. You want a head shot on them, anyway.

For goodness sake people, I'm just trying to have a laugh at the ignorant other Londoner, and everyone just comes up with reasonable, measured responses...

Pine Marten this is true, some years ago I was just setting off for our club's annual pre Christmas turkey shoot where the prizes were in the form of poultry. My sister who was visiting asked where I was going and I replied "to the club turkey shoot".

She then said in all seriousness " if you shoot two can we have one?"
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.