Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 243 Win 75 gr V-MAX® Superformance® Varmint

243 Win 75 gr V-MAX® Superformance® Varmint

I am thinking about going over to a 243 and this load (on paper) looks very nice and flat anyone used this in the UK on Roe ?

Cheers
    Andy

they do a 75gn SST which is designed for hunting rather than varmint use, might this be more suitable than VMAX?
    Hornady Superformance .243 Win 75gr SST Ballistic Tip

I am useing the Hornady 75g Balistic tip for fox and head shot only for deer

For heart shot I am using Federal 100g Soft point Power Shok. I have shot roe and fallow heart shot with this at 30m and at 165m and they both fell over no problem

I wouldn't use the 75g balistic for heart shot as IMHO it causes too much meet damage. Very destructive on a head shot and I was recomended them after I couldn't get Federal with the Nosla Balistic tip

The most surprising thing for me is that through my Sako 75 I can get a 100m 15mm grouping with the 75G and then stick the 100G in and keep within 30mm without altering the sights.

75g defo offeres tighter groups but I am more than happy with putting the 100g within 30mm at 100 if it means i dont have to swap settings between bullits

ATB

Chasey
    Last edited by Chasey; 28-01-2015 at 09:06.

Similar to Chasey I have zeroed with 75 SST and they group very well, the 95 SST are ever so slightly a larger group but in the exact same place so I can change rounds without re zero. I found the 95g causes a fair bit of damage to a chest shot fallow and a friend after shooting 5 with the 75g said the damage was too much for him.

Morning Andy,

At risk of sounding like a dullard killjoy....check the MV/ME of those...You may find they are below the legal 1700ftlb ME. Agree with Chasey and Nun you will find them very messy on any body shot as they are a frangible varmint round. You can certainly use them for head shots but then you'll open another can of worms!

IMHO 85gr Gamekings/Nos Parts or 100gr SP would do everything you need legally and effectively!

DT

Got it thanks.!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsettaff View Post
    Morning Andy,

At risk of sounding like a dullard killjoy....check the MV/ME of those...You may find they are below the legal 1700ftlb ME. Agree with Chasey and Nun you will find them very messy on any body shot as they are a frangible varmint round. You can certainly use them for head shots but then you'll open another can of worms!

IMHO 85gr Gamekings/Nos Parts or 100gr SP would do everything you need legally and effectively!

DT

Morning Andy,

DT
    on paper the 75g SST produce more ft/lbs than the 95g and they have a very similar performance to the v-max all be it the SST arent a varmint round. There have been previous posts regarding the use of 75g v-max on roe and those that did use them thought they were pretty good.

I haven't bought a 243 I was just looking at the best flat shooting round for Roe , I use a 308 at the moment with 123Gr I have a veriation for 25-06 but am a lilting worried about it being a beast for fire.

Morning Andy,

DT
    Blimey...just checked the ballistics of the Hornady (24" test barrel).....3580 fps and 2134 Ft lbs.....Wooo hooo!

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    I found the 95g causes a fair bit of damage to a chest shot fallow and a friend after shooting 5 with the 75g said the damage was too much for him.
    Being that friend, the amount of force they deliver into the cavity is insane, the deer go no more than 1-2 meters. The issue is when you open them up, what you find is the pressure appears to have forced fluids out of everywhere and virtually everything has little nicks in them. One fallow doe I shot the pressure wave had even separated the diaphragm from the from the food tube (oesophagus?) as it runs through to the stomach cavity. I have head shot two fallow does with them and there was no brain cavity left. I would have concerns if the round didn't drop a deer quickly or if you had a poorly placed shot as in the 5 chest shot animals the round didn't exit therefore there would be less of a blood trail to follow. I am now using 90g sakos which I am a lot happier with, but I have only taken 2 fallow does with them and they were chest shot. A lot cleaner on opening up but not the same knock down power (they both went 10-15 meters)