243 Win 75 gr V-MAX® Superformance® Varmint

grayedout

I am thinking about going over to a 243 and this load (on paper) looks very nice and flat anyone used this in the UK on Roe ?

Cheers
Andy

I am useing the Hornady 75g Balistic tip for fox and head shot only for deer

For heart shot I am using Federal 100g Soft point Power Shok. I have shot roe and fallow heart shot with this at 30m and at 165m and they both fell over no problem

I wouldn't use the 75g balistic for heart shot as IMHO it causes too much meet damage. Very destructive on a head shot and I was recomended them after I couldn't get Federal with the Nosla Balistic tip

The most surprising thing for me is that through my Sako 75 I can get a 100m 15mm grouping with the 75G and then stick the 100G in and keep within 30mm without altering the sights.

75g defo offeres tighter groups but I am more than happy with putting the 100g within 30mm at 100 if it means i dont have to swap settings between bullits

ATB

Chasey

Last edited:
Similar to Chasey I have zeroed with 75 SST and they group very well, the 95 SST are ever so slightly a larger group but in the exact same place so I can change rounds without re zero. I found the 95g causes a fair bit of damage to a chest shot fallow and a friend after shooting 5 with the 75g said the damage was too much for him.

Morning Andy,

At risk of sounding like a dullard killjoy....check the MV/ME of those...You may find they are below the legal 1700ftlb ME. Agree with Chasey and Nun you will find them very messy on any body shot as they are a frangible varmint round. You can certainly use them for head shots but then you'll open another can of worms!

IMHO 85gr Gamekings/Nos Parts or 100gr SP would do everything you need legally and effectively!

DT

Got it thanks.!
Morning Andy,

At risk of sounding like a dullard killjoy....check the MV/ME of those...You may find they are below the legal 1700ftlb ME. Agree with Chasey and Nun you will find them very messy on any body shot as they are a frangible varmint round. You can certainly use them for head shots but then you'll open another can of worms!

IMHO 85gr Gamekings/Nos Parts or 100gr SP would do everything you need legally and effectively!

DT

Morning Andy,

DT

on paper the 75g SST produce more ft/lbs than the 95g and they have a very similar performance to the v-max all be it the SST arent a varmint round. There have been previous posts regarding the use of 75g v-max on roe and those that did use them thought they were pretty good.

I haven't bought a 243 I was just looking at the best flat shooting round for Roe , I use a 308 at the moment with 123Gr I have a veriation for 25-06 but am a lilting worried about it being a beast for fire.

Morning Andy,

DT

Blimey...just checked the ballistics of the Hornady (24" test barrel).....3580 fps and 2134 Ft lbs.....Wooo hooo!

I found the 95g causes a fair bit of damage to a chest shot fallow and a friend after shooting 5 with the 75g said the damage was too much for him.

Being that friend, the amount of force they deliver into the cavity is insane, the deer go no more than 1-2 meters. The issue is when you open them up, what you find is the pressure appears to have forced fluids out of everywhere and virtually everything has little nicks in them. One fallow doe I shot the pressure wave had even separated the diaphragm from the from the food tube (oesophagus?) as it runs through to the stomach cavity. I have head shot two fallow does with them and there was no brain cavity left. I would have concerns if the round didn't drop a deer quickly or if you had a poorly placed shot as in the 5 chest shot animals the round didn't exit therefore there would be less of a blood trail to follow. I am now using 90g sakos which I am a lot happier with, but I have only taken 2 fallow does with them and they were chest shot. A lot cleaner on opening up but not the same knock down power (they both went 10-15 meters)

They certainly get the job done I used the 75 grn v max on roe for a couple of years in my 75 varmint, very accurate .5 in mine mainly used for head and neck shots as they do cause a bit of damage with a chest shot but I never had many take a step with one.

I moved to the 87v max which were better / less destructive on chest shots but I could never get groups as good as the 75s, another good projectile which I later moved to and still use is the nosler 85g partition again .5 found them superb and on roe fallow even had the odd lowland reds with them with no dramas apart from the cost !

Once again thanks for all the help . just letting you know I have bought a 25-06 I had a space and found a good deal if its a beast I will get a 243.

Cheers

if its a beast I will get a 243.

Cheers

A beast of what, a beast of a field mouse? Mice are better taken with a 222 or 223 since you now have an adequate rifle for Roe. The 25-06 is a little better than a 243 but for "deer" in general a larger caliber is appropriate.

SS

Its like fishing....post a .243 thread......lace it with a head/neck shot comment........ sit back ......put the reel in baitrunner mode......

and wait for the "toner"...........

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..........

:rofl:

Top bullet that 75gr vmax in a 243, head neck chest, dont head shoot deer blaa blaa blaa, what a crock :D

Top bullet that 75gr vmax in a 243, head neck chest, dont head shoot deer blaa blaa blaa, what a crock :D

Ever see the carcass of a deer that starved to death because some clown took a head shot and only managed to blow the jaw away?

SS

Ever see the carcass of a deer that starved to death because some clown took a head shot and only managed to blow the jaw away?

SS

Unfortunately yes!

I've also seen carcases of deer where people had taken a broadside shot....hit too far back or too low or too high, didn't bother to follow up and let it crawl off to die under a bush!

What we do is inherently fraught with risk and danger. We all (should) assess the shot, our ability, the risk and the likely outcome but alas, apart from the Legends and the Queens Snipers amongst us we all make mistakes, as we are just human.

The definition of madness is, as a very wise man once said, making the same mistake time and time again expecting a different outcome!

So for me I'll keep banging away with light bullets in a 6mm aiming for a small mobile target and wondering why my freezer is empty of venison and the RSPCA keep knocking on my door! :doh:

The 25-06 is a little better than a 243 but for "deer" in general a larger caliber is appropriate.SS

Well now, - that's far less than true in my experience.

Following 20 years with a .243Win. and 14 using a .25-06Rem. The .25-06 delivers much greater MV and ME than a .243Win.
I can say for sure the .25-06 will take any rutting red stag no bother at all...that means any deer in the UK can be taken without question, as can fox, & feral goat. It's a really good flat shooting round.
ATB

Back