buck or doe

mickjgardner

Just wondered now that the doe season has been extended which you would choose to shoot this time of year if both a fallow buck and a doe were stood in front of you.Would you shoot the doe with a well formed kid inside or would you rather shoot the cull buck.I do not have any cull figures to reach so would personally shoot the buck rather than gralloch a pregnant doe.I know really from a management point of veiw you should really shoot the doe. I shoot pregnant muntjac but would still choose a buck.It is a bit different for me because i would like more deer on my ground

if there were plenty of bucks about still i would take a cull buck. i wouldnt be wanting to shoot any does after the end of feb, after having all winter to get your does sorted out there really is no need to be shooting them in march in my eyes.

Why not do as I did this morning and go to try and find an immature doe. This ensures that there is no young inside and you are removing some of the young animals on your area.;)

trust you :lol: i thought mick was just on about (Would you shoot the doe with a well formed kid inside or would you rather shoot the cull buck) hope you are keeping well and have started losening your ribs up ready for october :lol:.

Why not do as I did this morning and go to try and find an immature doe. This ensures that there is no young inside and you are removing some of the young animals on your area.;)

There are last years young that HAVE been covered! Shoot the doe every time, they control numbers.

after having all winter to get your does sorted out there really is no need to be shooting them in march in my eyes.
for some Andy all winter is not a luxury;)
having the added benefit of march actually can make it easier to get to grips with those Does that hav been flighty or gone nocturnal due to added pressures of those that feel it is nessecary to shoot the crap out of them in nov/dec
plus if in a big Pheasant shooting area that also addds to the probs till end of Jan
as for fully formed feotuses it will make no difference, only to your concience,
if you shoot a lot of munties then that is a regular occurrence and you soon get used to it
so yes Doe's to the end of march as i still hav another month to catch up with the prickets and any decent cull buck after that
Roe bucks come into season once the fallow hav ended as a rule

Would have to agree with stone on this one. Winter can be a busy time for some of us with shoot days, other work duties etc, and less hours of day light, so march gives another month with more free time to catch up on the does. we still have april if need be to cull any other poorer bucks.

Does

Gents

With respect to fallow, we are still taking both sexes at the moment on most of my ground, however I have asked the boys to still favor the does if that have mutiple targets from which to choose, we still have a further month on the males & to be honest they are only now begining to pack on weight again-many are still post rut/winter skinny.

We have had some big fallow fawns though in the last week, larder weights of 24 & 25kgs dressed out with head & feet removed on last years males which is a stonking animal for 8/9 months old:).

We are not taking any female Roe though as they are all pretty full now, We will not touch any Roebucks until the last week of April either as we are not abundant with them in the New Forest & we only take a few each season.

One of my lads has seen a monster 8 point Roebuck on one of the Golf Courses I have culling on in Southampton-he s a very large probable big gold & I advised him to leave him be in April & see how he cleans up.

Regs Lee

Regs Lee

Yes i agree there are many different factors.One of my woods i am not allowed to shoot during the pheasant season so i have to make the most of it now.There is also the factor of whether you are trying to reduce or increase numbers of certain species on your ground.As said i also shoot many pregnant munties as this is the most effective form of control

Back