Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vehicle trackers.

vehicle trackers.

I hope to get some info on vehicle trackers, what is the best to buy.
    I have seen some on ebay from 30 to 60, some need to be wired in and others don't.
    I bought a 2010 defender and want to put as much security on this car as possible, as im told they seem to be highly sought after by thieving b*st*rds.
    the tracker sounds cool, as it has a sim card that you can track from your phone.
    all info would be good as I have never been down this road before.
    thanks in advance.

Hi mate there was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago on these, might help.
    Think it was "defender" who started the thread & was fitting a tracker to his, he might be able to help you with info.
    Last edited by needsy; 26-01-2015 at 20:25.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150110_001.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	516.9 KB 
ID:	52143

Just added a set of tree sliders with SS deadlocks across the doors onto mine for the same reason. A bit agricultural looking but there is no way to get the doors open without a grinder. Epoxy on the door bolts makes sure they can't get in by taking the doors off either. Add a pedal lock (very difficult to remove if you can't open the doors) and a hidden switch to disable the starter motor and hopefully it will not be going anywhere even if they do go in through the windows.

Trackers are all well and good but I heard too many stories about them being blocked and would rather it didn't go anywhere in the first place.

If they really want it I'm sure they will find a way. All you can do is make it look like it's too hard to worry about and easier to steal some other poor blokes car instead.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Look at mechlock, works on the clutch or brakes!!

Quote Originally Posted by needsy View Post
    Hi mate there was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago on these, might help.
    Think it was "defender" who started the thread & was fitting a tracker to his, he might be able to help you with info.
    cheers mate I will look him up.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150110_001.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	516.9 KB 
ID:	52143

Just added a set of tree sliders with SS deadlocks across the doors onto mine for the same reason. A bit agricultural looking but there is no way to get the doors open without a grinder. Epoxy on the door bolts makes sure they can't get in by taking the doors off either. Add a pedal lock (very difficult to remove if you can't open the doors) and a hidden switch to disable the starter motor and hopefully it will not be going anywhere even if they do go in through the windows.

Trackers are all well and good but I heard too many stories about them being blocked and would rather it didn't go anywhere in the first place.

If they really want it I'm sure they will find a way. All you can do is make it look like it's too hard to worry about and easier to steal some other poor blokes car instead.
    thanks for the info, and I no what you mean, if they want it they will have it !!
    im looking at clutch claw for the pedals and a removable steering wheel, batt isolator and tracker.

On the pedal locks, look at 'Ardcase. That and the Adrenaline are considered the best, but the 'Ardcase is much easier to store when you're driving.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    On the pedal locks, look at 'Ardcase. That and the Adrenaline are considered the best, but the 'Ardcase is much easier to store when you're driving.
    cheers nige, I will look into it.

Trunk Monkey. All you ever need.

Ive got a couple of cheapie Chinese trackers, they do work, but batteries only last for about
    3 days, so you are constantly changing batteries. Couldnt rely on one to be always ready.
    So for a vehicle you really need a custom fleet type tracker.