Sealing a laminated stock

Adam204

Hi all,
I recently purchased a laminated boyds stock for my stalking rifle set up. Nothing wrong, but where the barrel channel has be opened up there is obviously the dry unsealed laminated edges. What is best/recommended way to seal this area from the elements if one is caught in a downpour or damp day?
Oil?
Wax?
Thanks
Adam

I am interested in learning what people do after they have sanded out the channel in a laminate stock, like I did to my Boyds stock at the weekend. It did sand nicely and as it is a spare stock i have left it for now but need to add something to it before she goes outing the field.

The boyds stocks come with a lacquer finish so my mate done mine with a satin finish can of car lacquer.

If the OP wishes to seal the stock, remember that Oils will improve the water repellency of wood but it will not seal it. For instance on a grand scale if you have a natural wood finish on an exterior door it should be Danish oiled at least 3 preferably 4 times year, and it will still expand and contract according to external temperature and humidity.
Granted a stock is not subject to the constant weathering a garage door is, but then it only has to move a couple of mm at most before it potentially causes a problem!

Yacht varnish is one of the best sealants if used on the "internal" parts of a stock.
On external doors the usual is x3 coats of 1 part varnish to 3 parts thinner, then 2 coats of 1 part varnish to 1 part thinner. This allows the sealant to penetrate deeply into the pores of the wood giving a better "seal".
So a variation on a theme (possibly 2 coats, then 1 coat)should give you a good seal, remember those coats should be THIN or you could have contact between barrel and stock.

Regards,

HL

Back