Thread: Parker Hale Safari (270) Trist Rate.

Parker Hale Safari (270) Trist Rate.

Can anyone tell me what the trist rate on a Parker Hale Safari in .270 is (Or should be) please or is there a reliable way of finding this out myself?
    The reason I am asking is so that I can work out which weight of bullet is likely to perform best in my rifle without having to buy and try loads of different ammunition and end up spending a fortune on unwanted/inacurate ammunition.

Easiest way to check is by marking a line in marker pen on your cleaning rod, inserting this into the chamber with a brush on it and then ease into the rifling. At this point mark the rod to indicate a datum point for travel. Push the rod deeper into the barrel watching for when your original mark completes one revolution. At this point, mark the rod a third time. Push the rod all the way through, remove brush and then measure the distance in inches between your two marks. This will then give you the twist rate. Ie if the distance between them is 10" then you have a 1 in 10 twist. Hope that helps ?

I'm sure it will be 1:10 which would probably suit most bullet weights available from 90 - 150grain+, but you never know until you try.

With the cleaning rod - use a tight, oily patch on the jag & make sure the jag is firmly screwed in & doesn't unscrew as you move the rod in & out of the bore & give you false readings.
    This technique is best done in a clean barrel- smoother. I use insulating tape on the rod to mark the length & form it into a flag so it's easier to decide when you've done one revolution.

Ian

It will be 1:10 and will probably have been regulated for Norma 130gn factory ammunition - all of the PH .270s I've fiddled with or owned have worked best with a standard 130gn soft point bullet - I favour Hornady Interlocks - set longer than factory depth to accommodate the long throats.

As long as they haven't been messed with, e.g. given a free floating barrel, and have decent bore / throat, I have yet to find a PH rifle that wouldn't shoot at least sub-inch at 100 yards with homeloads.

A.

all PH .270 are/were 1:10"

not sure they "regulated" them for any specific weight
    mine (1 John Dickson miltary actioned PH barrelled, one Caledonian rebranded PH, one BSA) all shoot 130gr well and have shot 150gr with equal appetite

personal choice but i stuck with 130gr

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    all PH .270 are/were 1:10"

not sure they "regulated" them for any specific weight
    mine (1 John Dickson miltary actioned PH barrelled, one Caledonian rebranded PH, one BSA) all shoot 130gr well and have shot 150gr with equal appetite

personal choice but i stuck with 130gr
    According to the Parker Hale 1964 catalogue / price list I have here, the 1200 Safari and Safari Deluxe rifles are 'regulated for use with Norma 130 grain ammunition' (which PH also appeared to exclusively supply). I've no idea what they mean't by 'regulate' either, as this generally only applies to double rifles barrels but there you go...

It's not mentioned in the later catalogues I have here - the emphasis in those is on the rather attractive flared 'Daktari-style' shooting suit with optional 1970s sideburns...