Thread: Great Gunshop with Great Attitude

Great Gunshop with Great Attitude

I went to Ivythorn Sporting in Somerset for the first but not the last time on Saturday.

I was really impressed for several reasons.

Firstly Steve the owners attitude was excellent, no pressure to buy at all, lots of time to talk through the plus and minus points of the different rifles he had in stock. I felt like I was getting really good unbiased advice.

The stock range was pretty vast.

I got to try out alot of different models. I had gone with thoughts of buying a particular model and after trying out alot of guns decided to save a bit more for something quite different.

And the other thing Steve had was Time. Something you dont get in alot of places!

I would thoroughly recommend a visit if your in the market for a new rifle.

Nick

you have to book a appointment to visit don't you ?????

Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    you have to book a appointment to visit don't you ?????
    You do have to book.
    Which is why you have alot of time.
    It really was a great place.
    I could have spent a couple more hours there but my girlfriends sense of humor wouldnt have stretched that far!
    Shes a pretty good sport to have watched me pouring over rifles for 2hrs as it was.

SD Regular
    The additional beauty of Steve's is that you send the G/F to the Clarks Outlet Village just up the road.....a risk, but worth it. Fabulous set up and worth the trip.

Many RFD's work by appointment only these days and Steve is an exemplar of customer service as far as I am concerned. I've recommended several people visit him over the years and few are disappointed.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    The additional beauty of Steve's is that you send the G/F to the Clarks Outlet Village just up the road.....a risk, but worth it. Fabulous set up and worth the trip.

Many RFD's work by appointment only these days and Steve is an exemplar of customer service as far as I am concerned. I've recommended several people visit him over the years and few are disappointed.
    This does seem to be the way forward to me also as far as I am concerned! Towers of Rochdale do this now that they have moved their shop to a more modern, and comfortable place (At the same site as the owners home meaning that he is available 24/7 for customers) with a much greater range and ammount of stock and also have their new web site up and running. Geremy Marshall (The Owner) will always find as much time as needed to see prospective customers and allow them to "browse" without leaving them feeling pressurised or rushed into buying anything.
    One thing that I have little time for is the type of gun shop where you are "pounced on" as soon as you walk in the door by a sales person (Who often has very little experience of handling guns and knows even less about shooting) and tries to sell you what they want you to buy rather than allowing you to buy what you actually need or went in there to buy!

I can only comment on buying a used rifle from Ivythorn sporting at the Stalking Fair at Kelso and echo what has been said.

I phoned them prior to the fair as they had a used rifle I was interested in and spoke to a lad Shane (I think), who gave me a complete unbiased run down on the rifle and said it would be going up the road.

Went to Kelso which was busy however wasn't rushed and had a good chat with Shane who suggested taking the rifle across the the way from them to Callum Ferguson (another complete gent), who bore scoped it for me and confirmed that it had done "nothing".

I then had a laugh bartering a deal and later got some mounts sent up which I paid sweeties for as they were lying in a box.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post

A risk I would have gladly taken!! I wish I had known!