The SD Site new members and traders

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
This may come across as a bit of a moan, and in a way probably is, but I would rather it be looked upon as a polite post to ask people to be a little more considerate.

Most of our membership are great, kindly, generous people, and we are grateful for all the support that you give to your fellow stalkers and the SD site. However we have had a number of people who have NEVER made an introduction on the site, and yet post. When this is brought to their attention we seem to be accused of being unwelcoming. This is not the case as Admin welcome everyone. However when anyone joins this site they are reminded to make an Introduction. This was put in place to try and ensure that anyone joining is genuine and not just a troll or troublemaker with other motives.

Also we seem to have had a few people who think that selling or advertising their wares consistently or services does not warrant trade membership! This is unfair on the trade members who pay the princely sum of £10 per month to gain access to a large amount of people. Those that don't pay or forget to pay are also not helping the running of the site, and it also costs me, Alex and JAYB valuable time sorting things out. A great deal of money goes back into the sport via our bursary scheme which is helping fellow stalkers through their Level 1. Plus it also funds the running of this site, which believe it or not does cost money.

Thank you to everyone who supports the site and also to some of our outstanding traders who have offered goods and services for free to help raise funds for various causes. We look forward to another successful year with you all, I see we have now passed 14,000 members which is another milestone.

Thank you all for the support you give and for your help in making this site the best Deer Stalking site on the web.

Admin.

Yup, I agree, this is a fair, well moderated forum and one of the reasons I became a site supporter after being a member for 4 years or so.

well done!

a two minute post to say "hello" won't hurt anyone

.regards,
Gixer

Quite fair and easy to understand.

And for anyone thinking the site owners are getting rich off the site, having met all three, nothing could be further from the truth. They are pricing their trade membership well under market rates (at least compared to US sites)

Well put Sikamalc, particularly the part about new members not making any sort of an Introduction post. It would be nice to know the very basics about new members and "where they are coming from"! It might sound petty but could it not be made a rule that new members must make a post in the "Introductions" section before they were allowed to make any other posts?
I am a member of several other "shooting related sites" but this is the only one that I post on with any sort of regularity as it is the only one where there is genuine help, information, hints and tips etc offered with much less bickering, fault finding and idiots going out of their way to cause trouble for others!
This (In my opinion) the best Shooting Related Site on the Internet and Moderators do a very good job on here sorting out the wheat from the chaff so let's keep it that way!

Well put Sikamalc, particularly the part about new members not making any sort of an Introduction post. It would be nice to know the very basics about new members and "where they are coming from"! It might sound petty but could it not be made a rule that new members must make a post in the "Introductions" section before they were allowed to make any other posts?
I am a member of several other "shooting related sites" but this is the only one that I post on with any sort of regularity as it is the only one where there is genuine help, information, hints and tips etc offered with much less bickering, fault finding and idiots going out of their way to cause trouble for others!
This (In my opinion) the best Shooting Related Site on the Internet and Moderators do a very good job on here sorting out the wheat from the chaff so let's keep it that way!

Thank you for the kind comments. As I understand it from our IT guru, Alex, AKA csl, every new member on joining is reminded to make an appropriate introduction as it is flagged up on joining.
Therefore there really is NO excuse not to make the required intro. One of the reasons I put this post up is that running back through some fairly old and recent posts we seem to have had one or two people who have commented about Admin reminding people about introductions, and then posting complaints that we have been hard on them and unwelcoming!!

Plus people thinking we do not notice them trading without paying for the privelage, or not renewing their trade membership and then self promoting themselves or their partners doing it for them. Rather underhand behaviour I am afraid and totally unfair to other traders or the membership.

But as I have said we welcome everyone and we are lucky to have such a great membership. Once again Thank you everyone.

Thank you for the kind comments. As I understand it from our IT guru, Alex, AKA csl, every new member on joining is reminded to make an appropriate introduction as it is flagged up on joining.
Therefore there really is NO excuse not to make the required intro. One of the reasons I put this post up is that running back through some fairly old and recent posts we seem to have had one or two people who have commented about Admin reminding people about introductions, and then posting complaints that we have been hard on them and unwelcoming!!

Plus people thinking we do not notice them trading without paying for the privelage, or not renewing their trade membership and then self promoting themselves or their partners doing it for them. Rather underhand behaviour I am afraid and totally unfair to other traders or the membership.

But as I have said we welcome everyone and we are lucky to have such a great membership. Once again Thank you everyone.

no thank you

Back