NV And My New Rifle

After trying out my New Rifle the 25.06 on some Roe the other morning, i was hoping to get a chance to see what my Archer NV was like married up to it.I never had to wait long for yesterday afternoon at around lunch time one of my Farmers rang me to say there was a Fox stalking his Geese and chickens in the Farm yard,i grabbed my 25 and went to the Farm and sure enough there was Charlie just poking his nose out from under a Tractor, i got into a safe spot where i could get a clean safe shot if he was to come out a bit more, but only after 10 minutes or so some one came into the Farm and parked right where Charlie was so that ended the stake out.Last night i took rifle and NV back to the Farm it was drizzling with rain yet again and the NV don't like the wet as everything is hazy when you try to have a look about,i went around the home fields nothing to be seen but as i got to the top end of the grounds i heard a Dog Fox barking from behind me just where i had come from the Farm dogs started barking in response to the Poultry thieves barks, he was getting closer so i made my way to the road gate i was going to walk the 100 yards up the road to another field the other side of the Farm as i thought the Fox would cross the road through a well used run.Before i got to the Gate Charlie had got there first barking as he went, i slowly walked the road and when i got to the open gate i just caught sight of him going through the gate into an adjoining field some few hundred yards away, the wind was blowing in my face and he was up wind of me so i set off to see if i could get a shot at him.I walked the long field only to hear him barking in the next field but i kept going hoping to catch up with him in a new lay of Corn, i got to the Corn field but no Fox he had gone into the neighbours field not my permission and he was still shouting for a mate.I had walked 3 fields trying to out wit him but i thought he had beaten me, i was just going to make my way back to the Farm and call it a night when his barks sounded closer again i rested on the gate and had a look through the Archer and Charlie had come back into the Corn field i was stood in,by this time the wind was behind me and i was sure he would sent me on the gusts of wind that was swirling around i put my sticks up in a position that i could get a shot at him if i got the chance, as i looked through the NV he was coming my way straight across the field again making his way towards the Farm i slid the Archer onto my scope and zeroed in on him but he was walking fast almost to a trot i shouted and he paused for just the right amount of time it took me to drop him where he stood,it was about 127 yards well it was 133 long paces to where he lay first time out with the 25.06 2 Roe first time out with the 25.06 and the Archer 1 Fox on a roll at the moment will phone the Farmer today just to see if he has seen the Fox around the chickens again he has been there for a couple of days now so i am hoping he wont see him and i have shot the right one.

Aqoy7Os.jpg

After trying out my New Rifle the 25.06 on some Roe the other morning, i was hoping to get a chance to see what my Archer NV was like married up to it.I never had to wait long for yesterday afternoon at around lunch time one of my Farmers rang me to say there was a Fox stalking his Geese and chickens in the Farm yard,i grabbed my 25 and went to the Farm and sure enough there was Charlie just poking his nose out from under a Tractor, i got into a safe spot where i could get a clean safe shot if he was to come out a bit more, but only after 10 minutes or so some one came into the Farm and parked right where Charlie was so that ended the stake out.Last night i took rifle and NV back to the Farm it was drizzling with rain yet again and the NV don't like the wet as everything is hazy when you try to have a look about,i went around the home fields nothing to be seen but as i got to the top end of the grounds i heard a Dog Fox barking from behind me just where i had come from the Farm dogs started barking in response to the Poultry thieves barks, he was getting closer so i made my way to the road gate i was going to walk the 100 yards up the road to another field the other side of the Farm as i thought the Fox would cross the road through a well used run.Before i got to the Gate Charlie had got there first barking as he went, i slowly walked the road and when i got to the open gate i just caught sight of him going through the gate into an adjoining field some few hundred yards away, the wind was blowing in my face and he was up wind of me so i set off to see if i could get a shot at him.I walked the long field only to hear him barking in the next field but i kept going hoping to catch up with him in a new lay of Corn, i got to the Corn field but no Fox he had gone into the neighbours field not my permission and he was still shouting for a mate.I had walked 3 fields trying to out wit him but i thought he had beaten me, i was just going to make my way back to the Farm and call it a night when his barks sounded closer again i rested on the gate and had a look through the Archer and Charlie had come back into the Corn field i was stood in,by this time the wind was behind me and i was sure he would sent me on the gusts of wind that was swirling around i put my sticks up in a position that i could get a shot at him if i got the chance, as i looked through the NV he was coming my way straight across the field again making his way towards the Farm i slid the Archer onto my scope and zeroed in on him but he was walking fast almost to a trot i shouted and he paused for just the right amount of time it took me to drop him where he stood,it was about 127 yards well it was 133 long paces to where he lay first time out with the 25.06 2 Roe first time out with the 25.06 and the Archer 1 Fox on a roll at the moment will phone the Farmer today just to see if he has seen the Fox around the chickens again he has been there for a couple of days now so i am hoping he wont see him and i have shot the right one.

Aqoy7Os.jpg

Just a had a call from the Farmer the Fox is back in the Farm Yard 8.00am so off i go with the 25 once more, i parked at the bottom of the drive and crept up behind the buildings. The Farmers Truck was in a perfect position for me to rest my Bipod on his bonnet and wait, it was'nt long and Charlie walked out into the open right infront of a 15 foot high dung heap must be atleast 50 tons of stinking s..t perfect for a back stop though, he was only 60 yards from me and he is no more so the Fox i culled last night was another stranger in the camp. That's 4 Dog Foxes on this Farm this week.

GMxNZaH.jpg

Nice write up - always great to hear someone enjoying (new) kit - and keeping their farmers happy at the same time.

They're certainly on the move at the moment, that's for sure.....

Good round that, I prefer the 90gr ppu in my 243, has an extra bit of zip to it and still plenty of stopping power for roe when needed

Back