Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6x42 on Sako 85

6x42 on Sako 85

I have a S&B 6x42 on a low mounts on a Sako 85. I want to get the scope lower. Apart from the 2mm of an extra low set of rings, is there any other way of getting the scope mounted lower? I have a comb raiser but am still trying to lower the scope.

I've ordered lowest Optilock ring mounts, think they are lower than base/ring combo.

http://www.sako.fi/scope-mounts

Wilf102,
    Just had the same problem on a Sako 75 with 42 mm objective and 30 mm tube diameter. I have the extra low Optilock rings and it is still a bit high. So I had a Hunters of England "Snipers Cheekpiece" recommended to me by a gunsmith. I just fitted it and bingo no more problem, very comfortable to use too. It holds 6 rounds too if you wish. Its neoprene and can be fitted/removed easily. Initially I didnt like the look of it but I tried one already fitted to a rifle and it works. Its worth a look and then you can forget about looking for rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilf102 View Post
    I have a S&B 6x42 on a low mounts on a Sako 85. I want to get the scope lower. Apart from the 2mm of an extra low set of rings, is there any other way of getting the scope mounted lower? I have a comb raiser but am still trying to lower the scope.
    I had the bottom half of the ring machined slightly to improve scope alignment after I had the moderator fitted. I suppose you could take 3-4 mm off the bottom of each bottom half ring. Be aware that the screw coming up from the base will need shortening too.

Keep in mind you still need bolt handle clearance to work the bolt.

The other option is to get an adjustable cheek piece installed or even fit a better stock. I spent a lot of money on my Sako 75.

Have fun.

JCS

Dont suppose you could measure from the bottom of the base to the bottom of the scope recess. My scope is 1".

Quote Originally Posted by Malxwal View Post
    I've ordered lowest Optilock ring mounts, think they are lower than base/ring combo.

http://www.sako.fi/scope-mounts

Dont suppose you could measure from the bottom of the base to the bottom of the scope recess. My scope is 1".
    I would, but I'm not in possession of them yet. The download associated with the ring mounts on the page I linked to will give you dimensions.

OK - measurements for the combined ring/base Optilocks so on my SAKO 75, from the upper flat of the dovetail to the bottom edge of the tube of the 1" S&B 6x42 is a shade over 11mm. They are AFAICT about 1.5mm lower than the extra-low rings and 3.5mm lower than the low rings used with the separate ring'n'base mounts. And neater.
    Any lower, in fact, and there would be no light showing between the objective and the barrel over the end of the .270Win chamber.
    Last edited by Dalua; 28-01-2015 at 22:04.

Thanks Dalua. Which version are they? Low? Not sure if they do an extra low.

Thanks Malxwal. The download only gives dimensions for rings and bases on my mac.