Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time at pigeons

First time at pigeons

I had a very kind invitation today to go along with a local chap (not off here) to shoot some pigeons on ground close by where he has permission. Never having done any pigeon shooting before I jumped at the chance. Only condition was that I had to bring my own cartridges (as I would be borrowing his "spare" gun) so I took a trip to the gun shop and bought a few boxes. We met at his house and drove a short way out to a rape field, setting up a hide and decoys in a likely looking spot with our backs against the hedge to keep the bulk of the wind off us.
    Despite our best efforts in the face of insanely mixed weather, the pigeons all evaded us. My host had a couple of shots but hit nothing and I didn't get any shots off at aall, hesitating too long on the only bird which may have presented me an opportunity . There were birds about but none were Interestested in our decoys, so we were left with only the odd straying bird for sport. In spite of freezing in the hide and a lack of birds i had a very enjoyable day and learned a little more about another type of shooting. I've been invited back with him to a different spot some time in the next few weeks when it's been drilled, so here's hoping for a busier day and something other than muddy boots and runny noses to show for it!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

A crap day shooting is still better than a good day at work. Better luck on your next outing. Try a couple of crows in the pattern, to see if can entice them in as well.

SS one thing that will be common in shooting life is that there will be plenty of apparently blank days, but a wise man said to me many years ago a day spent in the country is never wasted ,you should always come home a little wiser.

As annow I know he was correct. good on yer stick at it.

Quote Originally Posted by neil the plumber View Post
    A crap day shooting is still better than a good day at work
    You're not wrong!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by neil the plumber View Post
    A crap day shooting is still better than a good day at work
    You're not wrong!
    Blog

Shooting pigeons over decoys is a thing I've never had a chance to do and I'd love to try. There was access to ground for this in the KWCA, but it's like wildfowling: if you're not around to do some reconnaissance, look at flight lines and so on, and you can only turn up on the particular Saturday that you out in the diary two months before, then it's just down to luck, and that's pretty unreliable.

I had my second ever Deer stalk yesterday morning with my mentor on his permission. The first we saw no deer but it was great to get out with the rifle in the woods rather than on the range even if I didn't fire a shot. Yesterday nothing for 2 hours then right at the end of the morning 3 deer came tearing through the woods having been spooked some where up the hill. I spotted them just before they spotted us but even then and even though they stopped with the nearest doe 35 yards away I was too slow with getting the rifle on the sticks and they were gone again, a bit like you with the pigeon!

Still it was a learning experience and much better to be in the woods than sat in front of this computer. (Though I'm sure my host will bring it up once or twice over the coming months )

That's shooting over rape for you. Next time you never know they might set their wings as specks in the sky and swoop in to the killing ground. Fascinating to see when you get it right.

Blackpowder

Was out today at a farm I just knocked the door at.

Got set up and never saw a doo. Shot 12 crows though

Better than daytime TV supposing all I shot was thin air.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Shooting pigeons over decoys is a thing I've never had a chance to do and I'd love to try. There was access to ground for this in the KWCA, but it's like wildfowling: if you're not around to do some reconnaissance, look at flight lines and so on, and you can only turn up on the particular Saturday that you out in the diary two months before, then it's just down to luck, and that's pretty unreliable.
    The only consolation is that I live a good couple of hours drive from any coastal wildfowling, but only a couple of minutes walk from the nearest crop fields. Not that I have permission on any, but it's a comforting thought that one day I might...
    Blog