Guide IR510-384 Thermal Handheld

Deanot2000

Gents, does anyone have any experience of this unit? I'm looking for a thermal spotter for foxing that will allow DETECTION of possible Charlie's at 300 Yds? I'm not interested in ID as I have a scope mounted PVS-14 and a v bright IR laser which allows me to ID Charlie at 300+ repeatedly.
The problem is (as always) with a purely IR system, that Charlie's eyes are not drawn to anything so unless he looks your way it's quite difficult to spot when your scanning a large area. With thermal it would quickly identify a potential target and allow the shooter to confirm/deny optically.

Ive scoured the net and apart from one bloke on UKVarminting giving it a glowing review pics,vids or reviews are a little sparse. I'm looking for ACTUAL experience to be honest as opinions have let me down in the past!!

Here's hoping and many thanks for your attention!!

Deano

Last edited:
I have one and really cannot fault it. It is easily as good as some of the units friends have at almost double the price.

It will see red deer out to 1000mtrs easily
roe to about 600, perhaps more
rabbits out to 200
the warmth from rabbit holes out to 150, identifying occupied ones from empty ones.
It is light enough to clip to the binnys strap

I have not used it for foxes but it will find them for sure, i expect they will show well as they will be hot with their continual movement. All my pals use thermal for foxes, and use the more expensive units that came out before the 510, and though i cannot compare for foxes, roe out to a couple of hundred meters are identical, but beyone this theirs are better, though you can still identify them as deer way beyond this

Like all units it needs practice. Basically loose as much cold sky as possible, the differential of your target will then be much more. They all get confused by hot rocks and tree stumps, so work best early morning and at night, as in a summer evening many objects show heat, but the advantage of the fast refresh rate is you can see movements, and the lower hrz ones dont do this as well. We still spot with traditional methods, and often spot deer with the binnys, only to find others nearby that we had not seen

I like mine on white hot, it gives most definition on the grounds i work. We go on no magnification initially, and when we pick up a distant hot spot zoom in and look for movement. As soon as we see movement, we check what it is with the binnys and then either make a plan or discount it. This works well for us the way we stalk and in the habitat we work in. One complaint about all thermal is that distance is impossible to gauge, and this makes going from thermal to binnys tricky. We have helped solve this through practice and also having a small screen recorder unit (£50 ish) as a 2nd viewer, it really helps.

Its definition and distance covered are not as good as the more expensive units, units twice the price can see roe at double the distance, but this is not what we got ours for so it is really not an issue for us.

Hope this helps, feel free to pm me if you have questions

Been using the guide 510 for about a month now,only for foxing at the moment,great piece of kit for the money,small enough to put on a lanyard,realistic fox spitting distance is 300 yards,I run mine on white hot and all the points in the post above I've found true.
of the 16 foxes we've shot this month over half were down to the thermal,I only use my night vision to take the shot now.
last night is an example,nothing showing using nv,quick scan with the thermal showed a fox behind a hedge in a paddock 50 yards away,he was doing the usual sit and wait until we had gone,well he got shot!,makes me wonder how many we've missed this way.
also great for finding dead ones!, got mine for £1830 from Istec Ice on eBay.
if you need to have a chat pm me and I'll send you my number.
Mark

I also purchased one of these from Istec Ice and think it's great, did you manage to find out any other info about them? Where to get firmware updates?. I have attached a lead to the video out so that others who are out with me can see what I'm looking at on the screen (7 inch monitor) got lead from Ebay under £5.00 search for:BNC to MCX Converter for Arm Nano Oscilloscope.

Mine arrived today direct from Istec ice not through E-bay great bit of kit give them a call great set of people to deal with
Been using the guide 510 for about a month now,only for foxing at the moment,great piece of kit for the money,small enough to put on a lanyard,realistic fox spitting distance is 300 yards,I run mine on white hot and all the points in the post above I've found true.
of the 16 foxes we've shot this month over half were down to the thermal,I only use my night vision to take the shot now.
last night is an example,nothing showing using nv,quick scan with the thermal showed a fox behind a hedge in a paddock 50 yards away,he was doing the usual sit and wait until we had gone,well he got shot!,makes me wonder how many we've missed this way.
also great for finding dead ones!, got mine for £1830 from Istec Ice on eBay.
if you need to have a chat pm me and I'll send you my number.
Mark

I bought a Guide IR510-384 from a company called Istec Ice www.istec-ice.com tel: 01992 517000. These are mostly sold out under different badge for £2.249.95 if you are interested ask for Gemma Roberts, who should be able to put you through to someone who can offer you one for around £1.800 vat included and free delivery. I found them to be most helpful. You can if you wish look or buy from them on eBay item number: 161586510935
Regards
John

i have one and think its great.i dont have any other experience of thermal but for the price it seems to be much better spec than the flir.

I have a guide 518c which i cannot fault i have a pvs 14 as a spotter and a D760 as my main scope on my Nv rifle

Back