Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding out the age of a Sauer drilling.

Finding out the age of a Sauer drilling.

Hello everyone.

When I bought my drilling recently I emailed Sauer through their contact form asking them whether they could tell me when it was made, and provided the serial number. Predictably, I haven't received a response. Does anyone know who I could contact at Sauer to find out? It was made in Eckenforde, not Suhl, and that model (3000) was launched in 1955, so it's not so old that the records would have been lost in the war. I suspect it's of 70s vintage, largely based on the scope, but you can't really tell. It doesn't matter much, I'd just like to know. There are no markings on it that give any sort of indication of age at all, the serial number doesn't seem to reflect a date in any way either.

I'd be very surprised to hear that Sauer don't have records of this. Not that I want to fall back on national stereotypes, but, you know, they just do have the records somewhere...

I've pinged a chum that works elsewhere in the L&O Group to see if he has a contact.

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Right, that's heading in the right direction! I've sent you an email with what he needs
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Details sent!

Well that was easier than I anticipated. I like to imagine that the guy at Sauer who handles the emails is going to think "Oh damn, I thought that guy had gone away".

Poor guy will be suicidal if you tell him about the right hand lock not working

Yes, here's hoping

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    Poor guy will be suicidal if you tell him about the right hand lock not working
    Well we'll hopefully find out how long it's been without a service! That said, it should be back from Alan Rhone next week as good as new. There's also a 50-50 chance it sees some action in February, depending on whether I can negotiate a trip to Bisley beforehand or not.

That's good news mate, looking forward to it's repeat appearance at my place next season.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    That's good news mate, looking forward to it's repeat appearance at my place next season.
    Oh don't worry, I'll be there! Also, I have ten months to practice with the TWO shotgun barrels, and I now have a totally stupendous quantity of assorted 16 bore ammunition that I can use a fair amount of on clays. So that will give me something to do during the long periods of time during which I won't be stalking. But we're not there yet, there's one last outing!