Forestry Trailer Project.....

Tim.243

I was asked by a farmer if I could make him a logging trailer in one of there work shops,
nothing fancy just nice and strong!!
8 stud SAF axles were the same pcd as 4 rims and tires he had.
It is based on one we looked at, however this one will have a hi-hab on the frame as the other one was mounted on the tractor....
All 10mm wall box, so it should be around a few years........
003_zps4e0c1290.jpg
001_zps68348395.jpg

004_zps342e0b44.jpg
005_zps3ce26018.jpg

Tim.243

Looks like a beaut. Looking forward to seeing the finished trailer! Really nice neat fabrication by the way.

Thank you....Nothing is light, also a lot of weld prep with the thick wall box!!
His cut off saw is taking a bit of stick...lol

Tim.243

No chance of those axle stubs going anywhere! Yeah must be hard work hefting that box section around.

Nice bit of welding there, looks stronger than off the shelf trailers :cool:

Very nice job. Well done.
Thank you....

Nice work, very tidy. What sort of weight will it be carrying?
Cheers....not sure on the weight but I have seen some big lumps around the farm!!

No chance of those axle stubs going anywhere! Yeah must be hard work hefting that box section around.
They are very thick section, and the rocking beam was 13mm wall lol....

Nice bit of welding there, looks stronger than off the shelf trailers :cool:

Most kind, it will have a second layer and the usual poles on the side, he does quite a bit of milling so it will be used as a work station as well.

Tim.243

Making a good job there.

It will depend on the type of timber it is carrying and how ruff the grond is.

Looking at ur pictures can the pivoting double axle pivot much with out hitting the body? Won't matter too much if not going throu forestry drains/ruff ground
And somtimes its quite handy to weld some mesh or thin plate dierectly above the wheels in case u have any sharp sticky out branches that can punture the tyres, but with welll snedded trees or hard woods not such an issue.

Wot sort of wieght will be in the trailer when its finished?

I Don't think you'll be breaking that in a hurry! I was thinking the same as coutrryboy, is there enough pivot space available for your bogie, the forestry work I have seen around here leaves 2 Ft plus ruts after the buncher feller has been through, though if used on the farm I suspect they will give more of a dam whats left to deal with!

What are you welding with, Mig I guess, many passes on that lot to get a good bead?

Making a good job there.

It will depend on the type of timber it is carrying and how ruff the grond is.

Looking at ur pictures can the pivoting double axle pivot much with out hitting the body? Won't matter too much if not going throu forestry drains/ruff ground
And somtimes its quite handy to weld some mesh or thin plate dierectly above the wheels in case u have any sharp sticky out branches that can punture the tyres, but with welll snedded trees or hard woods not such an issue.

Wot sort of wieght will be in the trailer when its finished?

Thank you, there is one top bracket in the first picture which you can see, it gives around 10 inches of clearance above the wheels. The ground is quite flat so there should be enough room!! I will post some more pictures as it gets bigger...
The farmer is quite hot on his saw as he will be milling it his self so I would expect the butts to be quite clean.
A rough guess 3 ton.

Tim.243

I Don't think you'll be breaking that in a hurry! I was thinking the same as coutrryboy, is there enough pivot space available for your bogie, the forestry work I have seen around here leaves 2 Ft plus ruts after the buncher feller has been through, though if used on the farm I suspect they will give more of a dam whats left to deal with!

What are you welding with, Mig I guess, many passes on that lot to get a good bead?

Cheers, I have prepared the 10mm box down to around 4 mm with the hottest up hand route I can get in!!
The main brackets were built on the bench to make my life easier...

Tim.243

Last edited:
U should be ok then if he knows wot he's doing and he must if he's into milling.

I take it that is why it is such heavy meatal as he will be hauling large hardwood butts, most 'Botex' type or even forwarder bunks are just 3" or 4" dia pipe no idea how thick the walls are thou.
How heavy will the crane ur attaching lift?
Some big hardwood butts can be pretty heavy, althou will depend wot length of board he's processing

Most farmers i know are murder with chainsaws, usually the chains hanging of the bar and the chain is so blunt more chance of setting fire to the tree than cutting it.

My mates made 1 years ago using a land drive axle/trtailer body, was amazing where it would go if u actually connected the land drive up.

We used to play botex rodeo, u hang on to the grab while someone works the controls to throw u off, cannae mind wot the record time was now it wasmae very long

I think it will lift 1.5 tons on full stick.......I just do the welding lol....
If it is not up too the job then more work for me to fit a bigger one...:thumb:

He is all ready looking at getting a bigger tractor lol

Tim.243

Cor blimey that's a bit hefty! Would be handy around here, I'm still loading a 3t Wessex trailer which just about works but a proper logging trailer would be well handy.

Tiz looking a proper job there Tim :thumb: if you don't need it for logging there always a bridge that needs moving some place :eek:

Cor blimey that's a bit hefty! Would be handy around here, I'm still loading a 3t Wessex trailer which just about works but a proper logging trailer would be well handy.

I'm thinking you wouldn't want to pay for that steel, that size box doesn't come cheap !!!

Ur not long in getting 1.5 t in a decent hardwood butt. Think u will be kept busy welding for a while yet. If ur dealing with big stuff sometimes easier using a tractor front end loader to load (either forks or muck grab), usually lift 2-3t takes a big crane to lift that

Do u need to put hydralic stablising legs on a trailer for a 1.5 t crane?

Even alowing for the farmer abuse factor doubt he will be able to break/damage that trailer.

Back