Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is long range

What is long range

All over the Net there are websites discussing Long,Medium and Short range shooting.......my question is......what is the definition of Long,Medium and Short range???

Thanks

Martin

Whatever you think it is, it's the individuals perception of that distance

Heard it said that it's any distance at which the click of a safety catch coming off no longer spooks them.

Conveniently, it accounts for wind as well as physical distance...

With my air rifle 40 yds is long range!

Long range is when your rifle, sights, and load in it cannot be aimed with the center of the sight and hit within the target size. For example, if my .270 is zeroed at 220 yards, I can hold dead on a 6 inch from 3 yards to 300 yards and hit it. When I have to start holding off the top of the back or off to the side for wind, it is long range.

In the Uk ethical long range on a live target is probably 250 yds to 300yds tops, now if you go to the US or Canada, it seems to be how far can you see. Went out hunting in Canada with my mate, he took a shot at a Whitetail Buck at 570 Yds and gut shot it. I was pissed off at him, we never caught up with the animal until the swirl of birds gave it away next day.

Long range in my eyes is the maximum distance you can consistently put 90% of your shots into 1.5-2" max group (will be a kill shot on most animals). There are many good shots out there who can group at much further, but this isn't stalking.... Only my opinion, others I know disagree!

No specific measurements I'd say. Short range is a target that can't be missed. Medium range is a target that shouldn't be missed. Long range is a target you might miss.

So that'll be different depending on what tool you have (12ft lb air rifle or some flat firing centre-fire round), what the target is (a rabbit or a red deer), weather conditions (still summer day or howling blizzard) and also the capabilities of the shooter (this is my first time or I'm Chris Kyle).

So in respect of your question, 2130martin, the only person that can answer your question for you, is you!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    With my air rifle 40 yds is long range!
    Show off.

I'll bet you head shoot them too...

Quote Originally Posted by SaOsborne View Post
    Long range in my eyes is the maximum distance you can consistently put 90% of your shots into 1.5-2" max group (will be a kill shot on most animals).
    about 70 yds then according to some of the DSC1 shooting tests!!

2" is extreme IMO

short range 10 yards, medium range 75yards, long range 150 + yards,

btw you can miss or wound at any range.