Shooting goggles?!

BunnyDoom

Well sadly I've joined the visually impaired as eyes have gone from 20/20 to she-hite!

ive got glasses, and though can shoot without them I definitely see more deer with them on... When they aren't fogging up, falling off, or generally p'ing me off!

My eyes are the wrong shape for contacts, and laser eye surgery can't be done to fix what's wrong with mine either apparently.

Has anyone found any shooting glasses that offer good poriferal vision, don't steam up, and don't make you look like you just sky-dived into your ground?

So far I've only found these, which are guaranteed to make my mates laugh :) TAC - Prescription Goggles - Dixon, Dixon : Sports Prescription Glasses

Good to see you back BD! I am a speccy **** and have been since 12 years old, probably about when I started shooting. Once you get used to glasses you will find them fine for shooting, almost regardless of the design, although a bigger lense does probably help. The only really annoying time is in very heavy rain but when you are focusing on that snipe in the distance it's surprising what muck on your specs you don't notice, and no clever design will deal with that although some coatings do make the rain drops disperse in a different way.

I have had both my eyes operated on in May 2014 for cateracts (plastic lens are inserted and the old biological ones are first removed = a 100% pucker while it is being done) but now my vision is better than I can ever remember, I even shot a 40kg boar at 1am on Tuesday night. Could that be an option?
Martin

If its any encouragement i had laser surgery about 10 years ago and my eyes have started regressing. Apparently the could regress to halfway between my original prescription and the perfect vision i was enjoying a few years ago. If/when they stabilize i might be able to have surgery again but that will not be in the near future so for the time being i am in the same boat as you. Contacts are not always perfect anyway.

Those first shades/specs look ok I think. Shame they don't do them in green.

I have been to one of the shooting opticians at bisley (I think there must be more than one). He did do some specs that are halfway between the Elvis ones and the snowboarder design so might be worth a visit.

Are you absolutely sure that contacts won't work for you, BD? I wasn't aware you could have the "wrong shaped eye" for them, but am prepared to be told otherwise!
I've been wearing contacts for 24 years now - put them in as soon as I get up in the morning, and take them out just before bed. If I'm up all night then I wear them all night too. Absolutely no probs - no eye health issues as a result of extended wear times or anything.
I moved over to contacts because I was fed up of steamy glasses and not being able to see in the rain.

If the wrong shape of your eye is astigmatism then you can get toric contact lenses. I suffer from this problem and use this type of contact lenses when it is tipping down with rain otherwise I get on fine just using my glasses.

Mulac

Well sadly I've joined the visually impaired as eyes have gone from 20/20 to she-hite!

ive got glasses, and though can shoot without them I definitely see more deer with them on... When they aren't fogging up, falling off, or generally p'ing me off!

My eyes are the wrong shape for contacts, and laser eye surgery can't be done to fix what's wrong with mine either apparently.

Has anyone found any shooting glasses that offer good poriferal vision, don't steam up, and don't make you look like you just sky-dived into your ground?

So far I've only found these, which are guaranteed to make my mates laugh :) TAC - Prescription Goggles - Dixon, Dixon : Sports Prescription Glasses

Oakley... check out rxsport they can do prescription oakleys in decent wrap around style, Flak Jackets etc.. they can also apply hydrophobic coatings etc so they don't fog up or wet out

Bummer about the eyes.

I can see in the distance but anything closer than arms length....forget it. So I can see the deer but not the rifle. But you on the other hand can see the rifle but not the deer. Ever heard of The Golden Shot? It could be our solution!

Wait until a feeling of something odd underfoot coincides with a crunching noise, then you'll really be brassed off with wearing glasses.

Thank you everyone for your replies, some great bits of knowledge there re contacts for eyes with stigmatism, and some glasses options.

I'll have a go at finding the contacts as like the idea of the freedom, but otherwise the glasses you guys suggested look excellent

Back