Isle Off Mull

My wife Lillian, my dog Abby and myself took a trip to the Isle of Mull to do some deer stalking. After travelling 6hrs from Cheshire to Oban we then took the ferry across to the Isle of Mull. We travelled to our Cottage, which was lovely. The cottage had lovely views of hills and Glens all around.
zdjecie(7).JPG

In the afternoon we took time to zero the scopes for our rifle to prepare for the stalk. Later Dave the gamekeeper came to show us where we would be going to stalk our red stag. After driving around for 10 mins we saw our first 8 pointer stag then we saw 2 six pointer stags and a few hinds. Dave suggested that we try and shoot a stag that day.

We started to crawl after the deer for around 15 minuets it was quite exciting and our adrenaline was building up. However the time was not right and wind direction was not perfect so the group of deer moved up the hill and it was not appropriate to take a shot. We decided to go back to the cottage and on our return we spotted a large Red stag on the edge of the forest glade. It stood there majestically for a few seconds then disappeared into the forest.

The following morning we headed out to find a red deer and we saw a large number of Reds however, I was more interested in shooting the large stag that we saw the following evening near the forest. So that evening we embarked to find this stag.
IMG_0179.JPG

It did not take us long to find the stag as he was not far away from the spot we saw him the night before. He was standing there with 12 hinds and he had big 12 pointer royal. The wind was quite bad and there was hardly any cover so this made crawling difficult and we had to take our time to get to a perfect spot to make the shot.

One we were in position I had him in my sights. I was approx. 150yards away from him and I aimed my sights at his shoulders, I was excited and my adrenaline was rushing forward, I took a deep breath and squeezed the trigger. The bullet hit the stag in the shoulders and through its heart and it dropped immediately and was dead instantly.

IMG_0200.JPG

This was my first Scottish stag and I was delighted to shoot such a good trophy. Dave, my wife and myself celebrated that evening with traditional Scottish whisky and we celebrated into the evening.

The following day I took the head and skin to make a full mount trophy from my taxidermist.
zdjecie(4).JPG zdjecie(6).JPG

I would like to thank Dave for the perfect stalking holiday and his hospitality and service. I would highly recommend Dave from scotlanddeerstalking to anyone interested in shooting a red deer.

Artur

Attachments

• IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
That's a whopper.....hope you've got high ceilings!!

Good result for you, well done Davie for getting you onto that fella.

+1 for Dave at Scotlanddeerstalking true gent and professional , ,thoroughly enjoyed my few days last year , nice pic of Lou the dog :D

Looks a terrific place for a stalking break and a nice representative stag too. Think the lack of snow in your pictures answers my question but i take it your write up is a late account of a previous stalking trip.

Looks a terrific place for a stalking break and a nice representative stag too. Think the lack of snow in your pictures answers my question but i take it your write up is a late account of a previous stalking trip.

Gaz, stags in Scotland finish on 20th of October.

Beautiful classic Monarch of the Glen stag, congratulations Gasiorxxl on a wonderful stag and lovely to see you have got it mounted for the memory, and I agree, Davie is a good lad to be out on the hill with.

Moose

Gaz, stags in Scotland finish on 20th of October.

Beautiful classic Monarch of the Glen stag, congratulations Gasiorxxl on a wonderful stag and lovely to see you have got it mounted for the memory, and I agree, Davie is a good lad to be out on the hill with.

Moose
Yes I know Moose that's why I asked the question that its a late write up :thumb:

+2 for big Davie . I'm over there in 2 weeks for the hinds with him . Looking forward to it hope the snow stays away

with kind thanks Artur awe the very best with your mount, I hope it fills the space on your wall well, you may need to move the big ugly sheep to make it fit, ATB and thanks for taking the time to post, ATB Davie

Back