Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chatsworth Stalkng?

Chatsworth Stalkng?

Anyone have any experience of stalking on the Chatsworth estate/park? Be keen to hear what you might know about it as I may be up there soon.....

Think they are only doing level 2 witnessed stalks now instead of cull days.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    Think they are only doing level 2 witnessed stalks now instead of cull days.
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear, lol.
    im going up and doing some witnessed stalks there, but keen to know what the terrain etc is like as well as any other general pointers as I've not been there before.

Been camping at Chatsworth a few times. Any time I took the dogs for a walk seen plenty of fallow and red deer, they were almost tame. No need to wear cammo gear just dress like a tourist with flip flops and you should be OK.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	52304

Enjoy the day.
    Last edited by Willie; 30-01-2015 at 20:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Been camping at Chatsworth a few times. Any time I took the dogs for a walk seen plenty of fallow and red deer, they were almost tame. No need to wear cammo gear just dress like a tourist with flip flops and you should be OK.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	52304

Enjoy the day.
    That will be the public access areas... There are another 2000 acres that the public don't get to see and several tenant farms belonging to the Estate.

I did a cull day 2 yrs ago for the Xmas venison orders, we took 2 hinds from the public area at first light before the coaches started to arrive then moved to the areas outside the main park. Excuse the pun but it's not just a walk in the park... we really had to work for every shot, at times belly crawling through ferns and brambles. The head stalker knows the ground like the back of his hand but even he struggled to find the cull animals.

To answer the original question, the ground is a mixture of broadleaf woodland, coniferous plantation and farmland most of which has vehicular access for carcass retrieval but all our stalking was done on foot and by the end of it I was knackered.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Thanks a lot for the info!

Hi Si and Mike,

Only joking about the flip flops. As soon as you carry a rifle every deer in the land disappears they seem to have a sixth sense when they are being stalked. Good luck with your DMQ level 2.

Enjoy.

blue kagool,silly hat with dangly bit,and wrap your rifle in a O.S.map youl be fine

Chatsworth Stalking?

You must be "Shameless".

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."