Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long for this wee dog?

How long for this wee dog?

Been out searching for a young Daschund that went missing on Sunday afternoon near one of my farms i shoot on. No sign of the dog (Rolo) and her owner Zoe is totally distraught. Facebook has prompted total strangers to come and search in their dozens.
    Its averaging +2 here with 3" of snow covering the area. How long could a short haired dog survive out in that??

If you tethered it to a peg in the middle of open ground the cold may get it. The dog will be laid up somewhere sheltered. I've known dogs be out weeks in awful weather.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Great news Apache, great news indeed!!

I've got two miniature short hair dachshunds as some no.
    They are tuff buggers. Lay your friends coat down last place she seen them that has a good success rate as most return.

Mine/they are tuff buggers walk for miles swim in low water channels and cold doesn't appear to bother them. Had dachshund for four years now.
    Keep us posted. Attachment 52306

These are mine and me two weeks ago, -5 out for a walk.

Check all the local setts to see if it's gone to ground.

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    I've got two miniature short hair dachshunds as some no.
    They are tuff buggers. Lay your friends coat down last place she seen them that has a good success rate as most return.

Mine/they are tuff buggers walk for miles swim in low water channels and cold doesn't appear to bother them. Had dachshund for four years now.
    Keep us posted. Attachment 52306

These are mine and me two weeks ago, -5 out for a walk.
    What weeman says. lay out coat or traveling box with dogs blanket in and there's a good chance the dog will return there.

Try going back to the area at the same time it went missing. The woman that runs the local animal shelter says that lost or dumped dogs will return to the same spot at the same time each day hoping to find they're owner, any things worth a try.

We always checked the barns, vehicles & outbuildings first, once found a fox mewing quietly, trapped under a pallet, been there a few days, then look at the nearest roadway verges, being a dog I would also check just in case anything is in heat within a few miles. Hope it turns up OK.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Also worth checking ditches and burns. My son lost his Jack Russell two weeks ago, small bitch with very short legs. She went into a burn with ice covered edges and couldn't get out, don't know if she froze or drowned. Took hours before he found her, very hard to spot in the water.

good luck RD, is there no one there with a tracking dog? my Carli (ridgeback x staffy) once found a lost dog laid up in a barn, I always look back on that thinking that was one of our greatest achievements, tell Zoe we are thinking of her...