Standard or varmint

Hello to all was wondering do people think having a varmint or standard barrel makes a difference to a 22lr

Not that I've experienced. The only time I appreciated a heavy barrel in 22LR is when I was shooting off-hand comps at 100M. I have too many BRNO and CZ 22's with light barrels that will put all the rounds through about the same hole to think it matters on the basis of pure accuracy. In fact, the only Varmint 22 CZ I had, a 453, I gave to a friend's daughter. I don't miss it.~Muir

If it's hunting not really it'll be un balanced and heavy for no real gain

my weihrauch 3 shot group will touch at 50 yards if I do my bit that's with a 14 inch barrel

Think the whole point of a varmint barrel is so you can shoot more rounds in one session without barrel getting hot or groups opening up. Mor applicable with centre fire so don't know if it makes too much difference though

The only difference a heavy barrel makes on a .22 LR in normal shooting is adding some muzzle weight to steady a match rifle for 50m or 100 meter matches. In some of the newer matches, a short and heavier barrel might help settle it down when moving target to target, but it might work against you. A good trigger is going to buy you more in shootability.

My friends have the varmint version and I use a 16" sporter which I prefer. For some reason I shoot better offhand with this rifle.
Recently got an unfortunate crow at 120yds offhand with subs.
edi

My friends have the varmint version and I use a 16" sporter which I prefer. For some reason I shoot better offhand with this rifle.
Recently got an unfortunate crow at 120yds offhand with subs.
edi

A few years back one of the site members was visiting and we walked a prairiedog town shooting rodents off hand with .22's from 50 to 125 yards. It separates the men from the boys.~Muir

A few years back one of the site members was visiting and we walked a prairiedog town shooting rodents off hand with .22's from 50 to 125 yards. It separates the men from the boys.~Muir

Oh, for the good old days when was first out of college, and the operators at the city dump would let me come with my Marlin 99 and its 6x20 Weaver, and my Anschutz 1413, and shoot across the hole for the rats on the other side, 35 to 100 yards. Shooting the rats on the move at long range, and watching them through the scope at impact and then rolling down the hill, was such good feedback, and practice for calling the shot and follow through.

Ive got a cz455 varmint barrel. I dont use it for target shooting (other than to zero, check zero etc). I really wish I had got a standard barrel on mine, the extra weight penalty in the field just isnt worth it. Truth be told the only reason I even went varmint was because it looked better.......

I have varmint but it weighs a ton, and I think you would struggle too get a .22 barrel of any sort to overheat, so it is probably pointless.

Back