Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stalking magazine

stalking magazine

ive been given 5 years worth of stalking magazine and was wondering why it went out of production? any body have any info on it

Like most otherthings really, when it doesn't make any money it doesn't carry on.
    Can't be sure if thats why it finshed but more than likley...

It went into advertising hell! You can only tell stories of hunting elephant in Africa so many times before readers bin it!

I occasionally wrote for the mag and it certainly wasn't because they overpaid contributors.

I stopped buying a regular mag. Buy one one month and it has the same stories as the others had two months previous pigeon decoying, fox lamping, ratting, Far better articles on here where the writer has the enthusiasm of his kill to portray. By something off the shelf every month but selective.
    Jim

There were some very good articles in it, I still have my copies which I will not let the wife through out!

Excellent magazine written by professional deer managers, old time hunters,and experienced counrymen, Ian ALCOCK, Richard Prior ,Arthur Cadman,Ken Griffen to name but a few no hype ,no product placement,no tall stories, just writing about the thrill of the stalk ,the privelege of being in the countryside, deer welfare and informative articles about all aspects of our sport.I need a few more copies to complete the total collection but unfortunately not many people throw them out

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    Excellent magazine written by professional deer managers, old time hunters,and experienced counrymen, Ian ALCOCK, Richard Prior ,Arthur Cadman,Ken Griffen to name but a few no hype ,no product placement,no tall stories, just writing about the thrill of the stalk ,the privelege of being in the countryside, deer welfare and informative articles about all aspects of our sport.I need a few more copies to complete the total collection but unfortunately not many people throw them out
    Totally agree. Do you think that in its day (late '80s early '90s) there were just not that many stalkers about? You had the full time stalkers, the keepers who did a bit of stalking and the paying guests as you do today but I think that you only had a fraction on the recreational stalkers that you have today. Most of these would have had a BDS subcpription so would have got 'Deer' too. Most employed stalkers and keepers will buy the 'Shooting Times' as, whatever you may think of it, it is still the industry journal. 'Sporting Gun' was the main one if you went for a monthly and comics like 'Sporting Rifle' did not exist. To be honest, I think that 'Stalking' was ahead of its time. JC

I love a good read and took the Shooting times for years but it does have to be said a lot of the articles that appear seem to be very much the same time and time again. I now just buy one now and then and find I get far more enjoyment out of it. After all in these days of information technology we can get what we require the majority of the time from dexterity on the key board.

As for accounts of true life experience within stalking our very own ADAMANT waxes lyrical. What more could you want. As good as a Shooting Times story but with humour thrown in to boot.

John.

If anyone is kind enough I'd enjoy having a flick through a few copies and will obviously return to the sender and pay postage.