Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dead pheasants and boundaries !!

dead pheasants and boundaries !!

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure that I know the answer for sure But ! If a couple of other more informed persons could confirm that would be good...

A landowner that I manage the deer numbers for takes out a few guns around his ground 3-4 times a season (they pay for the day)
    one gun recently dropped a pheasant into the neighbours ground and the landowner jumped the fence to collect it (no gun or dog), the neighbours teenage daughter came out and was not happy about it !! Daddy came home from his day out down the road on a 500 bird day ! and promptly appeared at my landowners house telling him that he was never to enter his property again or he will be shot !!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to shoot your neighbours for picking up a dead bird but my landowner thinks he has a legal right to collect it , I told him its not so in regards to deer that's for sure and therefore not for game either.

A couple of posts to confirm this and I will send him the link to look at for himself.

Ps the landowner has actually done several favours for his relatively new neighbour and was in no way rude or arrogant when he went in to pick up the bird from what he has said.

Regards Mark

I was always under the impression you were permitted to retrieve game if it is shot on your land but falls over the boundary.

my guess is that you are not allowed to retrieve without permission.

Shooting law: ownership of fallen game - The Field

my guess is that had the farmer asked for permission to pick up fallen game before hand it may have been freely given, some might take exception to people on their land if they have not been asked ahead of time.

First rule of gamekeeping, get on with your neighbours whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cervushunter View Post
    Daddy came home from his day out down the road on a 500 bird day ! and promptly appeared at my landowners house telling him that he was never to enter his property again or he will be shot !!!!!!!!
    My first instinct would've been to tell this bellend to immediately wind his neck right in or the police would be informed of his threats.................

I suspect that there may also be slightly different answers to the pheasant issue depending on whether you are in England or Scotland, but there won't be geographical differences in the authorities response to threatening to shoot someone!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    My first instinct would've been to tell this bellend to immediately wind his neck right in or the police would be informed of his threats.................
    +1, but he should not have entered the property without prior permission (civil trespass I think, criminal trespass with a firearm).

OP stated his friend crossed the boundary sans dog & gun though. Even with Englands trespass laws, you can't prosecute for trespass alone, there would have to be proof of damage (so I believe anyway. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will let us know). I'm pretty certain the police would be more concerned with the threat to shoot someone though. Even if the guy was full of pIss and wind, he sounds like a complete knob

its a welfare issue first and foremost ,to ensure the quarry whatever it may be deer rabbit hare fox pheasant etc, is either dead or despatched humanely and as quickly as possible, as long as your not ARMED , doug,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 31-01-2015 at 20:40.
    DONT START