Thread: Plastic beam scale: Not something Lee thought up.

Plastic beam scale: Not something Lee thought up.

I have been sorting through this pile of reloading gear and one of the items is a (1978) Bonanza "Blue Ribbon Grain Scale". (Bonanza is now Forster) I was surprised to find that the scale is completely made of Lexan plastic but for the knives & their seats, the dampening magnets, the beam sliders and pan assembly. Bonanza took great pride in making their tools from high carbon iron castings so I was a little taken aback thinking that I could use it for some sort of rough bullet sorting work if nothing else. The Lee, at least, used an aluminum base. Curious, I trotted it down to the reloading room and matched it up against my hyper accurate Ohaus Dial-o-Grain dual beam, weighing a small lot of 22 Hornet cases. Each weight from the Bonanza matched those of the Ohaus to within a very small part of a tenth of a grain. Who'da guessed that??

Until i found this one, I would have bet that Lee was the first outfit to make a plastic/polymer beam scale. ~Muir

Sounds as though you lucked into a really good deal

According to the blurb, Lee use the plastic as it's not susceptible to inaccuracy due to temperature variation, and it won't bend. So, according to them, if it hasn't shattered after an accidental drop or impact it will still be accurate and safe to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    Sounds as though you lucked into a really good deal

According to the blurb, Lee use the plastic as it's not susceptible to inaccuracy due to temperature variation, and it won't bend. So, according to them, if it hasn't shattered after an accidental drop or impact it will still be accurate and safe to use.
    Yeah. Bonanza said the same about this scale, too. I think the difference between this and the Lee is that the knives rest on "...diamond polished agate bearings" This could have something to do with the accuracy.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have been sorting through this pile of reloading gear and one of the items is a (1978) Bonanza "Blue Ribbon Grain Scale". (Bonanza is now Forster) I was surprised to find that the scale is completely made of Lexan plastic but for the knives & their seats, the dampening magnets, the beam sliders and pan assembly. Bonanza took great pride in making their tools from high carbon iron castings so I was a little taken aback thinking that I could use it for some sort of rough bullet sorting work if nothing else. The Lee, at least, used an aluminum base. Curious, I trotted it down to the reloading room and matched it up against my hyper accurate Ohaus Dial-o-Grain dual beam, weighing a small lot of 22 Hornet cases. Each weight from the Bonanza matched those of the Ohaus to within a very small part of a tenth of a grain. Who'da guessed that??

Until i found this one, I would have bet that Lee was the first outfit to make a plastic/polymer beam scale. ~Muir
    Pictures, or it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Pictures, or it didn't happen.
    You can see it when you get here.
    I figured a way to flush mount both Co-Ax presses for this year's SCPDA shoot so bring Forster die rings if you want to put them to use. ~Muir

(I gave away the Bench Rest 22-250 dies last night)
    Last edited by Muir; 01-02-2015 at 13:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    You can see it when you get here.
    I figured a way to flush mount both Co-Ax presses for this year's SCPDA shoot so bring Forster die rings if you want to put them to use. ~Muir

(I gave away the Bench Rest 22-250 dies last night)

Will do, though I still want to drag the 6.5's along to reach out a ways this year...

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Will do, though I still want to drag the 6.5's along to reach out a ways this year...
    Do it. I'll swap something bigger than 3-9X on my 6.5x55 and we'll teach the dogs to dance.~Muir