Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Always when we switch off

Always when we switch off

I went stalking this morning to three permissions close by, one a new Xmas tree plantation I've not been to before, a farm ive had good success at before and my nearest one where I've never shot a deer but seen a few while walking the dog.

i drew a blank at all places, didn't even see any deer, plenty of sign and a fox that just crossed the boundary as I got on the sticks. Maybe the snowfall kept them in hiding. I got home dried all my kit off and had lunch, the wife said i should take the dog for a walk and now that it had cleared up I grabbed the rifle again and went back to my closest permission with a view to walking the dog and taking the rifle "just in case".

I stalked around for an hour and just when it started raining again I gave up and started trudging back to the car. I had just walked out of a clearing making no effort to be stealthy and bugger me there are 4 roe standing not more than 15m away. A mature doe, two young does and a buck with 4 point antlers in velvet. A brief stalemate ensued before they all took off at speed through the woods leaving me to go home wet, cold and empty handed!

I know that feeling, better luck next time, they will still be around.

This is going to sound really condescending to some folk but here goes: Until you've stalked 50 acres of woodland with 99.9% concentration, of both mind and body, and from start to finish without break you really do not know how exhausting a "walk with a rifle" can be.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    This is going to sound really condescending to some folk but here goes: Until you've stalked 50 acres of woodland with 99.9% concentration, of both mind and body, and from start to finish without break you really do not know how exhausting a "walk with a rifle" can be.

K
    Very true, the woodland I was in is small but very thick with lots of self seeded holly tree which limit your view to only 20-30m in most directions. combined with all the leaves and twigs under foot it feels like some kind of Crystal Maze endurance game whilst trying to remain silent.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    feels like some kind of Crystal Maze endurance game whilst trying to remain silent
    Know that feeling! Last week up at Durris the ground was half-frozen & trying to stay silent while avoiding slashes/ice crunching/twisting an ankle/breaking twigs etc left me dripping with sweat after a couple of hours.............

On a lighter note though, we failed to notice the CCTV covering the Durris Telecom mast carpark that we walked through & had a couple of searching questions to answer from Stonehaven Police who wanted to know what two cammed-up armed-to-the-teeth blokes were up to around the North Easts biggest transmitting station. Whoops

Every deer seen is a lesson and never wasted time, especially with habitual deer such as Roe, once you find their spot, sure as the sun rises every day, they will be around, keep the faith and next time don't switch of until driving out the gate, we have all been there on that one!

Walking back to the vehicle the other week with the wind on our backs after an hour an a half stalking very carefully into the wind at max focus. Thinking there was no way on earth there were any deer in front of us having been through it the right way only an hour earlier 3 Roe jumped out of a clearing no more than 30 yards in front of us. Off like robbers dogs.

You never know!
    So much to learn and so little time left

Had very similar experience on one of my , left my vehicle and stalked around the edge of wood not seeing much at all only to decide it was time to head back i scrambled up a bank to where my motor was parked to find a doe and a yearling investigating my motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post

K
    Yes indeed, particularly if they are Sika hinds

As time goes by and you become more familiar with the new places you will get a better sense of where you are most likely to encounter deer and where it may be possible to relax a little. Often when I am out and having a blank I will deliberately just stop and have a rest. I sort of think that any encounter with a deer is a function of time and space. Just a few seconds earlier or later arriving at a ride will make a difference if there was one at a time and space that in the original stalk would have caused you not to see it but the disruptive manoeuvre creates the encounter! Sounds a bit odd but there is a lot of kismet to the game as well as experience to increase the odds!

D

Ain't this the truth! Stalked through a wood last week, steep, rough, snow on the ground. One look at the floor for my feet - whoops! there are the deer. Lots of cursing followed the disappearing backsides!