Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather stock extender for old shotgun

Leather stock extender for old shotgun

I have a SBS that has stock dimensions different from what seems to be on offer re butt extensions on the market.
    Just wondering if anyone has had one made or could make one?.
    Thanks

ps... maybe someone has one for sale,right dimensions would be the thing obviously.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

The lace up ones could work well as they look easy to take off and on (maybe a bit kinky )
    I don't want the stock marked. It's not an expensive gun but it was made in 1925 in Birmingham and is still pretty nice.
    I will contact them re the butt size from toe to heel etc.
    Thank you.

ps...interesting website to browse through.

Pacmar or however you spell it make a good one with a Velcro strap non marking and easy to adjust fast to remove and fit.

Funny story came to mind. A friend bought an AyA SxS as a knockabout and lender gun for guests, quail hunting in the briars and tall grass. He got it cheap, because it had been drastically cut down to about 12 inches. We knew a gunsmith who liked to restore all guns, refinish stocks, and took it to him.

He saved everything, and said, "I have a piece cut off a stock which might fit." So he went to a drawer full of plastic bags of pieces of wood, forends he had duplicated, etc, and pulled out this piece of wood.

It fit perfectly. It was the piece off that shotgun, which he had shortened for a boy, 20 years before. What luck. He glued it back on, sanded the stock to blend in the joint, refinished it, and it is shooting fine here 12 years later.

Until decide what swivel stud to put on the butt of my combination gun, I may put on one of these leather pads with little padding, like the Kick-Killer ( only 1/2 inch added ), and add a swivel loop to it for a sling. It already has a swivel on the barrel.
    Last edited by Southern; 01-02-2015 at 16:31.

20 years and still had it in a drawer.
    I like the guy already.

Being tall I have use of these & have a few different ones. I was especially impressed with the last one I bought as it was available in 3 different sizes & was able to get one that fitted a Brno .22, which has a very small 'footprint', compared to my usual shotgun stocks.

Dicksons supplied my last one.

Pachmayr Deluxe Leather Slip-On Recoil Pad

Brno .22 LR, or Brno Model 22F centerfire carbine?
    One of the ones I listed has 3 or 4 sizes, but I don't recall which one it is...Kick-Killer, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Brno .22 LR, or Brno Model 22F centerfire carbine?
    One of the ones I listed has 3 or 4 sizes, but I don't recall which one it is...Kick-Killer, I think.
    Brno No. 2 .22 lr with deluxe wood. I use a slip-on with this as it's a useful rifle for a young or female novice to try with the extension removed.

As I have a l.o.p. of 16 1/2" my shotgun stocks really flare out when the wooden extension follows the existing lines, although I suspect that the subsequent larger surface area reduces the felt recoil.

I had the same problem with my side-by side shotgun. It was OK for fit in all but length of stock. I bought a couple like these Amazon.com : Leather Slip-On Shotgun Recoil Pad Outdoors as they added just the right amount and are easy to slip on and off as I do not put the guns away with them in place. I see them in a lot of gunshops, so easy to get hold of.