Thread: Cast bullets for .22 hornet

Cast bullets for .22 hornet

Going to be casting bullets for .22 hornet what kit do i need for sizing,??? Got an rcbs rockchucker press, can i use this???
    casting is no probs , old pot gas ring in my workshop, dipper and mold just the sizing and lube im not sure about
    Cheers in advance
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray7756 View Post
    Going to be casting bullets for .22 hornet what kit do i need for sizing,??? Got an rcbs rockchucker press, can i use this???
    casting is no probs , old pot gas ring in my workshop, dipper and mold just the sizing and lube im not sure about
    Cheers in advance
    Ray
    Lee makes a 'push through' sizer for a standard 7/8" - 14 TPI press. It makes very good bullets from a technical standpoint: Bullets sized nose first exhibit less deformity.

The down side is that lubricating the bullets before sizing becomes a relatively messy operation requiring a manual application of the lube. The Lee set up is inexpensive and accurate if you want to to the extra work.

Most experienced cast bullet shooters who shoot in volume use a separate "Sizer-Lubricator" machine requiring special dies. You can seat the gascheck and lubricate with one pull of a lever and the bullets come out clean, neat, and ready to shoot.~Muir

PS: If you're asking these questions, you need to research the topic more.

Then we might discus a barrel cleaning regime and mindful if to shoot cast only or mixed?

I've thought about this for years and have never got around to it. Never will now. A 25-20 is a different matter!

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Then we might discus a barrel cleaning regime and mindful if to shoot cast only or mixed?

I've thought about this for years and have never got around to it. Never will now. A 25-20 is a different matter!

K
    Barrel cleaning is very important to cast bullet accuracy. Copper fouling under magnification looks like barbed wire hanging off the rifling lands. It will cause leading and inaccuracy with the best loads. The use of cast bullets is the only time I 100% advocate completely removing all traces of copper fouling from a rifle barrel.~Muir

(25-20. Excellent!)

I hope you're a young man with lots of time and patience, Ray! Just joking, but .22 Hornet and cast lead bullets have always struck me as a lifetime project for dedicated people. It's hard work getting small calibre lead bullets cast, sized, and lubed just right to work really well, and the Hornet is an attractive but often infuriatingly frustrating little beggar with jacketed never mind cast bullets.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    I hope you're a young man with lots of time and patience, Ray! Just joking, but .22 Hornet and cast lead bullets have always struck me as a lifetime project for dedicated people. It's hard work getting small calibre lead bullets cast, sized, and lubed just right to work really well, and the Hornet is an attractive but often infuriatingly frustrating little beggar with jacketed never mind cast bullets.

Have fun!
    It's really too bad that the best shooting Hornet for jacketed bullets, the CZ, is one of the worst with cast bullets due to the length of the throat. Best accuracy from cast comes with the bullet nose snugged into the rifling. It's tough to do with typical Hornet-weight bullets in the CZ. I have had great success with some custom Hornets in the past. One particular falling block loved a 37 grain cast bullet over RL-7. It consistently shot MOA at 2200 fps. With the powder selections of that time it was hard to get the loads much hotter without generating excessive pressures for the alloy I was using. (And the limited powders this then poor boy had on hand!) With the advent of Lil Gun, with it's low operating pressures, cast bullets become even more attractive. At <30,000 PSI peak pressure in the Hornet all but the softest alloys should have a good chance of working well with regards to alloy compression. (leading)

Cast bullet shooting is simple but doing it correctly, and coming close to jacketed bullet performance, requires some study, rifle preparation, and care in execution. ~Muir

Hi Guys many thanks for the advice, going with shop bought ammo to start with and see how the rifle performs with that, once i have enough cases will switch to reloads with jacketed heads to compare the accuracy , then start casting , so its a pretty long process, i have a 50 mt range in my garden so checking the accuracy is easy, still waiting on my variation 1 for 1 so should be here soon, but already bought the gun,its being shipped to my RFD who will hang onto it till my varation arrives
    Cheers
    Ray