Multiple Barrel Rifle Legalities

Greener Jim

Soooo, lazy Sunday lead to me thinking of firearms design, which then lead to me checking HO guidelines, which then lead to me designing the latest in a long list of firearms!

Now this idea is totally hypothetical. It has very little market at best but how about a multiple barrel rifle?
It seems legal if it were of a bolt action, falling block or break barrel design.
It isn't 'self-loading' as all chambers would be manually loaded by hand in the same way as a double rifle. It would only discharge one round per trigger pull, again, the same as a single trigger double rifle.
So I see no reason why a 3 or 4 (or more) barrel rifle wouldn't be legal. Totally pointless and hideously expensive to make but legal right?

Regulated at 100 yards for driven game, it's a close as we can get to a semi auto.

As I said, stupid idea but, I reckon, legal.

Snapshot of relevant HO Guidelines included below:

View attachment 52367

The one by Fuchs right? Beautiful bit of kit.

I was thinking 4 shot in a dangerous game calibre. Adds weight so recoil is reduced, it could be regulated for closer range and would be one hell of a stopping rifle. As fast as a semi, no missfeeds or restriction to cartridge length.

Very, very cumbersome mind and I'd be surprised if it was less than 20lbs!

So, one action to feed 4 calibres?

Sako 75 Action V would cover you for:
7mm Rem Mag
300 Win Mag
338 Win Mag
375 H&H Mag

Holy sh*t, nothing would get up after that was pointed at it in anger!!

Hambrusch do one 4 barrel, in Caliber: 16/70 + .22 Hornet + 5,6x50R Magnum + 7x65R
c6e4e286-cd6c-ea07.jpg

They are works of art & carry a similar price tag, I would be concerned about learning the selection switch position, or else put an 8x57 skywards!!

To bring it back round to the OP, everyone think this is legal then?

I'll call my head FEO tomorrow. I get my own place soon so I'm after a project!

I was thinking more like this:
View attachment 52369
View attachment 52370

Obviously with UK legal lengths met. It'd be one hell of a piece!

Why did you pick a picture of that ugly U.S. made Cop pistol as an example Jim, couldn't you find one of the far nicer looking British made Lancaster pistol? :stir: :lol:

If you ever built a rifle using a similar mechanism then as you say it would be an absolute brute to lug about. I was also thinking of the problems of regulating four barrels or of load development to regulate the loads to the barrels. Crikey I have enough fun with a double, heaven help us if you you tried to do it with four, a sure way to drive yourself crazy.

I wouldn't worry about the legal side of it Jim as I'm sure that such a design would be perfectly legal, but as to practicality that's another matter entirely. :cuckoo:

Last edited:
something like that the accuracy isnt so much of a worry as you just weight your target down with lead till you can get close enough to hit it.

something like that the accuracy isnt so much of a worry as you just weight your target down with lead till you can get close enough to hit it.

Perhaps Jim might like to give a bit of thought to building something similar to a modern day Nock volley gun. Why even in .243win there couldn't be any doubt as to the weight of bullets striking the target (7x 100 grn = 700 grns). :evil:

Last edited:
I do like the Nock gun :) I am a sailor after all.
The Lancaster pistols are much nicer than the COP, no arguments from me there or any of the sighted population!

The only problem with a modern day Nock gun (apart from the cost of barrels) is that it would still have to be one shot per trigger pull. I couldn't have the 'real' experience!!

Something like this would work. Distinguished eccentrics, I give you, the Colt Defender Mk1
View attachment 52418

Last edited:
Back