Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Binoculars... what to get?

  1. #1

    Binoculars... what to get?

    I've been looking forward to buying a decent pair of binoculars for quite some time and since joining this site I've looked at a few options.

    I've spoken to a couple of members who have Swarovski 8.5x42 el's for sale for between 800 and a 1000 and I've also spoken to Uttings who have 200 off a pair of Swarovski 8.5x42 el swarovision at 1564. Some have told me that the new Swarovskis with swarovision are considerable superior, but are they 500 plus notes superior?

    I also liked the Zeiss binos at the CLA, the Conquest HD for around 700 and the Victory HT's that Uttings are now doing for 1284 with a discount.

    Thoughts on what's the best buy appreciated!

  2. #2
    If you buy from uttings type 'optics200' into the promotion code and receive a further 200 off. Hope that helps, certainly did with me last week.

    Cheers

    P

  3. #3
    You need decent binos. However, unless you have infinite funds then spend the money on binos adequate for your use, rather than with the best marketing department and magazine adverts, and then spend the rest of your money on going stalking. There are lots of less expensive binos which are more than adequate for UK stalking, Minox are a favourite of mine but are far from the only option, and that will leave you with 1k in your pocket, compared with the Swaro ELs, that you could spend on some stags or red hinds in Scotland. The gadgets count for nothing in the long term, but the memories and good days out are all you get in life.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/




  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    You need decent binos. However, unless you have infinite funds then spend the money on binos adequate for your use, rather than with the best marketing department and magazine adverts, and then spend the rest of your money on going stalking. There are lots of less expensive binos which are more than adequate for UK stalking, Minox are a favourite of mine but are far from the only option, and that will leave you with 1k in your pocket, compared with the Swaro ELs, that you could spend on some stags or red hinds in Scotland. The gadgets count for nothing in the long term, but the memories and good days out are all you get in life.
    Sage advice there Caorach

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustelid View Post
    I've been looking forward to buying a decent pair of binoculars for quite some time and since joining this site I've looked at a few options.

    I've spoken to a couple of members who have Swarovski 8.5x42 el's for sale for between 800 and a 1000 and I've also spoken to Uttings who have 200 off a pair of Swarovski 8.5x42 el swarovision at 1564. Some have told me that the new Swarovskis with swarovision are considerable superior, but are they 500 plus notes superior?

    I also liked the Zeiss binos at the CLA, the Conquest HD for around 700 and the Victory HT's that Uttings are now doing for 1284 with a discount.

    Thoughts on what's the best buy appreciated!
    I wish I had had the money to buy the Swarovski 8.5x42s sooner. I went from always having deer pointed out to me by the stalker to actually starting to spot deer first. If you can get a second hand pair that meets your budget, go for them. Keep in mind the excellent after sales service from Swarovski. Also that good glass holds its value.

    Regards

    JCS

  6. #6
    If your prepared to spend that kind of money I'd want Range finding on them as well


    Don't forget Leica they are a fantastic bino

    I've got 10x42 RF baught S/H much cheaper and they are fantastic

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Minox are a favourite of mine
    And of mine and as you say will leave you with plenty of money left to spend on other things.
    Cheers
    Richard

  8. #8
    There is some good advice above, the gap between the "premium" brands and some other names is shrinking all the time. Get to somewhere where you can actually try some, like a bird reserve or similar, you might be surprised what you end up with. This is a perfect time of year to buy, the light is poor and he days are short, get to a shop around closing time and try a few.

  9. #9
    Someone was telling me that birdwatching forums are a good place to look for second hand bins.
    They are often chopping and changing and good deals can be had.
    Prob best to avoid saying what you want them for though.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Someone was telling me that birdwatching forums are a good place to look for second hand bins.
    They are often chopping and changing and good deals can be had.
    Prob best to avoid saying what you want them for though.
    Hi I got a pair of minox HG second hand from one of the bird watching sites for 350 good binoculars looking through them and my mates swarovski the only difference is the swarovski have a slightly wider field of view.

Similar Threads

  1. Which Binoculars.
    By brighteyes in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-10-2012, 17:04
  2. Binoculars
    By 243fallow in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-09-2012, 17:16
  3. what binoculars
    By big cat in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-05-2012, 21:33
  4. Binoculars - on a budget for stalking binoculars?
    By bod1st in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18-09-2010, 20:20
  5. Binoculars
    By russ91 in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 14-02-2010, 09:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •