Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeroing a 17hmr

Zeroing a 17hmr

Hi all
    I was wondering if anyone has any techniques for zeroing this tiny calibre with out a spotting scope.

I last zeroed it in autumn, this involved a piece of card with a mark on it, and a 100m x2 walk after every 5 shots.
    I think i ended going back and forth 4 times. My Hawke scope isn't good enough to pick out the holes.

The scope has been off of it since so its a case if having to re-zero, to be honest i could do with out the annoying walk back and forwards.

Any Ideas or tricks anyone?

Other than "get a better scope" that is.

Eddie

Use brightly coloured card/paper. it make's life so much easier. I get loads of it from a cheap book shop locally for about 1 a pack.

Enjoy the walk, barrel will be cooling, and I find it gives you time to think about your group.

I zero on paper at 40 yards, then use a painted steel plate for final adjustments at 110 yards.

Why not try using "Shoot-N - See" targets. You should be able to see the strike marks through your scopes at 17HMR zeroing ranges.
    It is possible to make your own (I haven't tried this myself) but they look quite quick, easy and cheap to make, and you can make them whatever size suits you for the range you might be shooting at.
    There are many videos on Youtube showing you how to do this.
    Here's a couple of examples that might be worth trying:-

Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 02-02-2015 at 09:25.

+1 for the birchwood casey reactive targets - just make sure it's not a windy day!

use a target at 50yds
    pick a POI that gives you a zero you are after then check at 100yds to confirm

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    use a target at 50yds
    pick a POI that gives you a zero you are after then check at 100yds to confirm
    +1

I zero a tad low at 50 and then check for 125 yd zero (just under 1in high at 100yds)
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Yes you can zero and check your Zero at any range just need to know the offset from LOS at that range (plenty of free software available now)

I certainly don't put a scope on a rifle and start trying to zero at over 25yrds

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    I certainly don't put a scope on a rifle and start trying to zero at over 25yrds
    Absolutely..... I am trying to get the final couple of inches spot on.

The problem was seeing the POI at 100m

It looks like my local dealer does the shoot and see targets. I will give them a go.

Thank you everybody

Eddie