Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .204 choice

.204 choice

Hi,

I know that there has been a bit of chatter about the .204 of late. I am fed up with my T-Bolt .17HMR, I just haven't been able to get on with it. Despite trying pretty much every ammunition that I have found, I have been unable to get decent groups. Not sure if I just have a Friday gun or whether it is all in my head but the time has come to move on. I should have heeded some of the warnings on here regarding the .17. I have a .22LR t-bolt which is like a laser but I guess that is a different gun.

Having read the discussions on the .204 I figured that was a suitable swap candidate. I realise that the ammo is a lot more expensive but I don't shoot so many that it is going to overly fuss me.

So unless anyone has a sensible argument as to why it is a terrible swap, that is the route that I am going to take.

So the question is, what gun to buy? My .243 and 30-06 are both Sako 85, and they are fabulous guns but I don't think that I can justify spending 1,500 on a varminting rifle. The obvious next choice is a Tikka and that is where I am leaning at the moment but I am keen to take any recommendations for another make. Less money is always better.

All views gratefully received.

Hedgehopper

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehopper View Post
    Hi,

I know that there has been a bit of chatter about the .204 of late. I am fed up with my T-Bolt .17HMR, I just haven't been able to get on with it. Despite trying pretty much every ammunition that I have found, I have been unable to get decent groups. Not sure if I just have a Friday gun or whether it is all in my head but the time has come to move on. I should have heeded some of the warnings on here regarding the .17. I have a .22LR t-bolt which is like a laser but I guess that is a different gun.

Having read the discussions on the .204 I figured that was a suitable swap candidate. I realise that the ammo is a lot more expensive but I don't shoot so many that it is going to overly fuss me.

So unless anyone has a sensible argument as to why it is a terrible swap, that is the route that I am going to take.

So the question is, what gun to buy? My .243 and 30-06 are both Sako 85, and they are fabulous guns but I don't think that I can justify spending 1,500 on a varminting rifle. The obvious next choice is a Tikka and that is where I am leaning at the moment but I am keen to take any recommendations for another make. Less money is always better.

All views gratefully received.

Hedgehopper
    tikka tend to do short barrels which kills the advantage of the 204 over 223 imo for a good fast 204 a 26" barrel is a good length have you looked at loading a 17 hornet? just as quiet as hmr but your making the ammo?

Thought about the 17 hornet but I haven't started loading my own yet. Another project I want to get stuck into but wondering how I can sneak all of the kit past Mrs Hedgehopper! Bought a couple of books to date but not the press and dies etc.

One thing I don't like about the .17 is the wind impact, seems pretty twitchy in almost any breeze. How does the hornet compare?

niether the 17 nor 20 cal are wind beaters but both better than hmr .if you want a cheaper wind beater i would go fast twist 223.i used to shoot mine well ish (at targets) out to 800 yds. downloading a balistic programme and sit there crunching numbers doing comparisons in the eve will help you make the right choice.

Got a Tikka T3 in 204r ,tack driver with most reloads, 32gr bullets or 39gr

Is that with the standard 20" barrel?

Yep std T3 varmint 20"

And I presume that is a GRS stock. How much of an improvement does it make?

Yes GRS stock, I do prefer it fit wise over the std one it came with, but doesn't make it shoot any better. It was a tack driver straight out the box even with factory 32gr Hornady ammo.

Looks pretty cool though!