Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: 375 H&H Lead Bullets

  1. #1

    375 H&H Lead Bullets

    Any one know of a supplier of cast/swaged bullets, looking for some for practice/fun at shorter ranges.

  2. #2
    Look for 'dodgyrog' on here. Good product, good price and great service.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by VIGILAIRE View Post
    Look for 'dodgyrog' on here. Good product, good price and great service.
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

  4. #4
    SD Regular Greener Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Yorkshireman in Darkest Cornwall
    Posts
    2,572
    Speak to Donald at Shellhouse. He may be able to size this down to .376. He can cast in any alloy you choose aswell
    http://m.shellhousebulletcompany.co....%2Fwebstore%2F

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm1066 View Post
    Any one know of a supplier of cast/swaged bullets, looking for some for practice/fun at shorter ranges.
    I bought the Lyman mould #375248. It throws a 249g truncated cone bullet. Here we go:
    Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment

    I have a friend who casts a few for me now and then. You should be able to get the mould through Hannam's Reloading.

    I've been using 21.0g of Blue Dot which should deliver about 1,600fps. I'm going to reduce the charge for this year. Oh, I previously used Dacron on top of the powder charge (to keep it as a column above the flash hole) but latterly have been using king size Rizla papers as they are biodegradable.

    This load recoils satifyingly (a bit of a shove, not a sharp jab) a bit more than a .243 but somewhat less than a .308, and the point of impact is probably 24" low at 100 yards. It's a good way to use your .375H&H without: a) brutish recoil b) expense and c) having to go through the HME rigmarole.

    -JMS

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JMS906 View Post
    I bought the Lyman mould #375248. It throws a 249g truncated cone bullet. Here we go:
    Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment

    I have a friend who casts a few for me now and then. You should be able to get the mould through Hannam's Reloading.

    I've been using 21.0g of Blue Dot which should deliver about 1,600fps. I'm going to reduce the charge for this year. Oh, I previously used Dacron on top of the powder charge (to keep it as a column above the flash hole) but latterly have been using king size Rizla papers as they are biodegradable.

    This load recoils satifyingly (a bit of a shove, not a sharp jab) a bit more than a .243 but somewhat less than a .308, and the point of impact is probably 24" low at 100 yards. It's a good way to use your .375H&H without: a) brutish recoil b) expense and c) having to go through the HME rigmarole.

    -JMS
    Your Dacron isn't being consumed?? Then I'd figure out something else.~Muir

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Your Dacron isn't being consumed?? Then I'd figure out something else.~Muir
    No, it gets scattered in front of the firing point. You need to bear in mind that the .375 is a volumous case and 21.0g of Blue Dot is miniscule. My normal charge is 75 to 83g of N140 or N160. It takes a lot of Dacron to fill the case on top of the Blue Dot, so only a little is in contact with the powder/flame. The rest, no doubt, formes a plug behind the bullet. Maybe some of it is burned off, but most isn't. Same with the Rizla paper.

    You say "figure out something else" which is all fine and dandy, but what do you suggest?

    -JMS

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JMS906 View Post
    No, it gets scattered in front of the firing point. You need to bear in mind that the .375 is a volumous case and 21.0g of Blue Dot is miniscule. My normal charge is 75 to 83g of N140 or N160. It takes a lot of Dacron to fill the case on top of the Blue Dot, so only a little is in contact with the powder/flame. The rest, no doubt, formes a plug behind the bullet. Maybe some of it is burned off, but most isn't. Same with the Rizla paper.

    You say "figure out something else" which is all fine and dandy, but what do you suggest?

    -JMS
    Specifically? Not sure. What velocities are you trying to achieve? I swore off of dacron when I shot cast bullet bench rest and a number of rifles were coming up with ringed chamber necks with the only common denominator the use of dacron. I shot 18 grains of AA 5744 (similar to 4198) in a 30-06 and 308 with no filler and had no problems. H-4198 is not quite as bulky as Blue dot but you can go up to the mid thirties in grain weight.~Muir

  9. #9
    Have you tried about 33.0 gr of H-4198 or 33.0 gr of SR-4759 ?
    Or Trail Boss? Very fluffy. Have not tried it in that large case, myself, but have used it in 8x57, .303, 30-06
    Last edited by Southern; 05-02-2015 at 03:18.

  10. #10
    If we get an order of 500 together we can get some made by dodgyrog.

    At least 500 @25 per 100 cast sized lubed and gas checked + postage.

Similar Threads

  1. Lead free bullets
    By Home Loader in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 27-10-2013, 05:01
  2. Non lead bullets
    By goathunter1 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-02-2012, 23:30
  3. *SOLD* 375 H&H Dies, Brass and Bullets
    By Old tikka in forum Reloading
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 12:46
  4. Lead free bullets
    By Mat in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-01-2010, 11:13
  5. Lead free bullets
    By Iwrch in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 28-03-2009, 18:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •