Thread: wind meters

wind meters

hi iam thinking of getting a wind meter to help with long range shooting, i was looking at the sky-watch xplorer 3 would this be a good bet or would a kestrel be a better one to get.
    thanks

A caldwell wind meter will get you started. They only give you the wind where you are though!

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    They only give you the wind where you are though!
    I've heard some experienced long-range target shooters suggest that this is where the wind matters most. I wonder whether they are right, though? It sounds rather counterintuitive to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    I've heard some experienced long-range target shooters suggest that this is where the wind matters most. I wonder whether they are right, though? It sounds rather counterintuitive to me!
    I'd have to say, I'm not speaking from experience of extreme long range. I've been on ranges where a perceived light breeze has given bullet drift of 8 inches or more at 200 meters. Wind was gusting across the range further down! At extreme long range your trajectory might mean the bullet travels up through much stronger wind before dropping into the target!

Wind metres are only a guide, its not going to be exact, there is alot of variables long range shooting

Hang on with your purchase, kestrel are just bringing one out that is ideal for shooters

Kestrel Sportsman Ballistics Weather Meter

Looks good, pretty much does the same as the applied ballistic version, at a much reduced price.
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Thats ridiculous money Pete, could buy a half decent car for that, ive got all the info I need on a accuweather phone app, just need a wind reader then