new shotgun

scoop

20150131_174919.jpg20150131_174940.jpg

I went down to glenluce gunroom ( Gunroom of here ) to look at a miroku which turned out to be out on loan so i had a good look at the other guns and this Browning Liege Trap caught my eye and ended up coming home with me

Last edited:
Nice! Is that colour hardening on the action or is is just blacked? Can't go wrong with a Browning :D

Its a blackened finish
The woodwork is like new and metal work is 99%
I cant wait to get out with it

Could easy be wrong, but I had a Liege, a 28" game version. I was informed they are a B26, a sort of budget Browning in comparison to the B25, plain black action, but in every way a Browning. I loved mine but wanted something more suitable for throwing more cartridges through at clays, and couldn't afford to keep it at the time. Lovely gun.

Aye, after private discussion, it's not and A1 right enough. Still be a good enough gun though. Are they made in Japan, despite "Liege" in the name?
Dont worry about us geeks Scoop, Browning made/make a range of guns. The B25 model has a zillion variations, starting, I think, with A1 and soaring off up the alphabet and abacus!!
You have fun.

If its a true Belgian gun that splits in two not three parts the model number will be roughly stamped on the action below where the long locating lug locates.

It says FABRIQUE NATIONALE HERSTAL
made in belgium
There are the usual proof mark stamps and a few other stamps scattered around various places
There is one unusual number on it 5911 electrically scribed

It's a nice gun indeed, but unless you are shooting at either trap or DTL clays with it then you have been 'sold a pup'!
A trap gun will have a very wide rib which slopes downhill from the breech to the muzzle which effectively makes the gun shoot high. It is designed this way to shoot at rising going away targets so that you can still see the target for as long as possible. It will also be heavy and possibly have a long barrel. It would not be a good choice for general game or vermin shooting or even sporting clays.
A decent gunshop should have given you this advice. If you fire at a 'pattern plate' you will see what I mean. Just get a board or some cardboard and put a spot on it. Shoot directly at the spot from about 20 yards and see where your pattern goes. You will probably find that most of your shot is above the spot. A well fitted shotgun should have about half or even 2/3rds of the pattern above the spot.
MS

Probably the best duck and walked up gun you will ever own though. A few ounces heavier to carry than a game or sporter but recoil is minimal. They have a wider forend which i like but if someone cares to manufacture a shotgun for all eventualities i for one will have a pair.

Some people, by way of their physical shape/stature, will be suited well to a "trap" gun though, the proof of the pudding is in the shooting. Some of the best shooting I've ever done was with a Miroku trap gun, great for high/long targets allowing you to keep the target in view. Even had a brief moment where I pondered RDs A1, but I have neither the cash nor the cabinet space.

Last edited:
I prefer a gun that shoots high and i like the weight , its not as heavy as some of the springers i shot in my youth
It was explained to me that its a trap gun but i seem to get on better with this style
At the moment i'm chuffed with the gun and only time will if its a keeper

Took the gun out this morning to the clays and i wasn't disappointed , the gun fits like a glove with minimal recoil and feels very natural
Not that i hit everything but its the first time i've been let loose on clays myself

Glad it works for you mate.
Gun fit is the most important thing with a shotgun. If you can get used to where it shoots you'll be fine - just aim at everthings feet!:D
MS

As a matter of interest my A1 trap Browning was bored 3/4 choke bottom barrel and full choke top barrel when purchased.
I had the bottom barrel opened out to 1/4 choke by the late Paddy Woods, master gunsmith of Ovington.
I used Eley cartridges with No.8 shot [506 pellets] in the bottom barrel and Eley No.7 shot [383 pellets] in the top barrel.
I used to be fairly quick on the trigger so the more open boring and denser 8 shot pattern was to my advantage.
The clay target has only to be visibly broken and not disappear in a puff of smoke which whilst being impressive does not get you more points.
I was selected as a member of the England International Squads in 1970 and 1971.
In 1972 I suffered a back injury and was quite fairly dropped out of the England Team as my National average of scores was thus down. By the time of the National Championships I had recovered and was runner-up for that same magnificent cup .
Alas now being only partially sighted I am on an invalid scooter and do no shooting.
Being a `has been` is better than being a `never been`.

HWH.

Back