Legalities of culling escapee farmed Red deer

Are you serious! What a ridiculous idea. This is The Stalking Directory remember. You have to try to find the most complicated, high risk, antagonistic solution possible to any given problem!

Yes, definately...head shoot them with a ballistic tip from the farthest away style you can find.
Howzat !?.
:)

Late to this post, but would suggest that if the farm wanted them back they would have done something about it before now. There is a risk that the deer may have been immobiloned in the past and not tagged "eat not" so anything with an ear tag unless you know different, is suspect and should not be allowed to enter the food chain. But that's not to say it cant go into the freezer. There's plenty immobiloned deer been eaten in the past with no i'll effects. although I do tend to doze off infront of the fire after my tea but ithink it's more to do with self administered Glen Fiddich tranquilizer rather than ingested immobilon.
Probably simplest to make contact with the deer farmer in the first instance.

Absolutely correct, visibly marked escaped deer are treated exactly the same as any other escaped domestic livestock see http://www.torfaen.gov.uk/en/Relate.../Animals-Stray/Your-rights-as-a-landowner.pdf if they are not visibly marked they are according both to the Forestry Commission and Natural England considered to be "Feral wild deer" and are treated exactly the same as any other wild deer.

If you want to cull the escapees first you need to identify the owner, even if they are on your land and get their permission, otherwise you may be liable for 2 serious criminal offences 1. criminal damage- if you kill the deer and 2. Theft if you keep the carcase.

atb Tim

Love that link...
"If animals are straying onto your land, the easiest option is to contact the owner of the animal(s) and ask them to collect them."

:D

Red can only be used for replacement tags where the original number isn't known, or where the animal isn't on its holding of birth. This is why red tags can't be used for management purposes, or as match-up tags.
Match-up tags can be any colour (except yellow, red or black. (black is reserved for animals that have an electronic rumen bolus)), and the number on them must match the number on the official yellow (EID) tag in the other ear.
However, in Scotland I think that the official defra tags don't have to be yellow.
This is what applies to sheep and goats, anyway. Cattle is similar in so far as the official defra tags are yellow.
This is why I'm guessing farmed deer have yellow tags, but I might be wrong.

We had white, yellow and red tags on various ages of Jacob sheep

We had white, yellow and red tags on various ages of Jacob sheep

Not any more, if you're in England or Wales. All changed in 2008 and again in 2010. However, Scotland has / had (?) different guidelines re: tag colours.

Even older animals now have to be retrospectively tagged to bring them in line.
You could use additional management tags as well as the compulsory pair, e.g., to denote age etc, but they couldn't be red, yellow or black these days.
Management info can also be printed on the match-up tag, provided it doesn't interfere with the official number.

The "large animal immobilon" being discussed in this thread I guess is 2.5mg/ml etorphine plus 10mg/ml acepromazine. I assume that naltrexone or naloxone are the antagonists.

Appart from the law stating it is wrong, what do folks really think is likely to happen if you ate a red deer which had been tranquillised with this several months before? Personally if the animal had recovered & several months had passed it wouldn't concern me in the slightest.

Sharkey

I would suggest that the food producers of the world have over the years produced meat for human consumption of various species laced with a cocktail of untested and potentially dangerous chemicals, not sure how they are broken down within the body of either the animal or the person who eats it but knowing that an animal has been tranquilized is where the fear lays, are there any proven cases of the transferred effect?
I am sure I read somewhere that acepromazine was used in the 60's as a relaxant ? sold as 'mellow yellows' :-|

no tag no problem but any deer that is potentially a park deer needs to be followed up with a call to the local deer park/farm to see if any escaped deer were treated with veterinary meds that make them a risk to food safety before you sell it or think about eating it.

Back