Trophy size Goats?

Bill Bartlett

Hi, Guys - I was over on the west coast yesterday and shot a couple of Goats. They seem quite big to me, but can anyone tell me if they are decent or not ( they stink to high heaven!) How big do they need to be to score a medal? Thanks, Bill.

Very good size if you ask me, bet you could smell em a mile away, glad it's not your Ruger in the snow..
atb

That will definatly make a gold, shot a Silver last year a lot smaller than that well done, worth mounting.

Moose

Bill this is a post from 2012 by stag1933 it sort of explains it..

Trophy measurement is more complex than stated above as circumference of the horns is also measured at their base, 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Each individual measurement of the right horn and left horn including length are compared with each other and variations are placed in a `difference` column.
All the right and left horn figures are added together and the `difference` is subtacted and finally the greatest spread is added for the true score.
Medal award levels are Bronze 250, Silver 300 and Gold at 350. [ Measurements are in c/m. ]

Big bad Bill, I shot a big gold medal in Ireland, and without going and having a look at it to check, I don't reckon it's as big as the one on the right. So I hate you!!!!!
They are both crackers. Get them cleaned up and measured. There isn't any drying time required as its only the horns they measure.
Jealous, jealous, jealous.
Well done.

Most of the gold medal goats have a horn length of 80cms or more, circumference also features but yours look to me to be well over 80cms and I'd be staggered if the one on the right wasn't a good gold medal. If you're able to take it to the Deer Stalking Fair in Kelso you could get it measured.

Hey Bill, If you are going to make them into shoulder mounts, how are you getting rid of the stink ?

Regards

Andy

Hi, Andy - will get them mounted up after I get them scored at either Moy or Scone game fair later in the year. Getting rid of the stink is not easy, as I am sure you have tried in the past. I shave the capes tracing paper thin, degrease a couple of times, then leave in a thick paste of bicarbonate for a time and also use odour -out if still smelly, and finally some febreze! Has worked for me. These Goats presently measure 97cms and 105cms, so should do alright? Bill.

I cant see the pics and would love to see them as big goats really interest me as I think they are one of the nicest trophies.Also does anyone know where you can look up previous years entries in the cic records? Iv tried googling but cant seem to find the list they publish every year.

Back