DSC1 done what next?

Primer

So I did my DSC1 at the weekend and now just have the 6+ week wait for exam to be marked and results to come through, I'm pretty confident I passed it as got 19/20 on deer recognition on the day (just mistook a tricky Roe Buck as a Doe), passed the shooting and safety walk and questions, so just waiting for main paper and meat hygiene papers to be marked.

But this may seem like a daft question but what do I do next, I guess I need to book some stalks to get some experience and knowledge but who with?
Also how do I go about getting my FAC conditions updated so that I could use my own rifle and expanding ammo on booked stalks as at the moment my rifle is conditioned as Target use only with non expanding ammo?

Thanks in advance for any advice given

As far as getting your rifle conditioned for deer and expanding ammo, a short letter explaining what you want and telling them that you have passed Dsc1 should be enough (if you have some bookings for stalking that you can tell them about that would also help).

Book a stalk! That on its own should be enough to get your FAC altered. If you bring DSC into it, you may get stuck waiting for the certificates turn up before they allow you to use it as evidence.

Although, you could ask Mike to provide confirmation that you attended DSC1 and passed the shooting and safety walk.

It's frustrating having to wait isn't it?

I doubt you'll need to wait 6+ weeks.

When I did mine last year the results were back in less than a month!

if Somerset follow the Dorset FEOs then DSC1 means nothing in terms of getting a Deer rifle (tho DSC2 apparently gets an Open ticket)

you already having the Rifle and using it for target gives you plenty of exp Shooting on a range safely

so booked stalks or invitational or a permission is what you need as reason to add the conditions

ask your FEO and put in the variation they will tell you what they will like to see

also remember you will get a closed ticket so you Will need to get the land details of any you book to shoot to check with the County its in FEO if its cleared (you can take the Stalkers word for it but its your FAC if its wrong) if not you need to get it cleared either by you putting in for it to the Stalker you book with then you checking again
or use their estate rifle and nobody cares

Last edited:
Book a stalk! That on its own should be enough to get your FAC altered. If you bring DSC into it, you may get stuck waiting for the certificates turn up before they allow you to use it as evidence.

Although, you could ask Mike to provide confirmation that you attended DSC1 and passed the shooting and safety walk.

It's frustrating having to wait isn't it?

I have my receipt from Mike but doubt that will be enough as they wouldn't give me permission to use expanding for the course.

Yeah its going to be a frustrating wait

if Somerset follow the Dorset FEOs then DSC1 means nothing in terms of getting a Deer rifle (tho DSC2 apparently gets an Open ticket)

you already having the Rifle and using it for target gives you plenty of exp Shooting on a range safely

so booked stalks or invitational or a permission is what you need as reason to add the conditions

ask your FEO and put in the variation they will tell you what they will like to see

also remember you will get a closed ticket so you Will need to get the land details of any you book to shoot to check with the County its in FEO if its cleared (you can take the Stalkers word for it but its your FAC if its wrong) if not you need to get it cleared either by you putting in for it to the Stalker you book with then you checking again
or use their estate rifle and nobody cares

So if I read this right I would have to apply for separate land permission variation on any paid stalk I book to use my own rifle?

So if I read this right I would have to apply for separate land permission variation on any paid stalk I book to use my own rifle?
Not land permission exactly, just check with the stalking guide if his permission has been passed by his local feo for rifles of your cal or larger. Or check with his fld directly.

I have my receipt from Mike but doubt that will be enough as they wouldn't give me permission to use expanding for the course.

Yeah its going to be a frustrating wait

Yes, I took a receipt too, but that's not quite what I meant. I do mean specifically asking Mike if he could give you an email stating that you passed the shooting test and safety walk. He could categorically affirm that, and those are the bits that relate most directly to firearm safety (though it's pretty obvious that you're safe since you have a solid history of firearms ownership).

My local force were pretty good, simply signing up for a DSC1 would have been enough for them, as was simply having booked a stalk. They didn't even ask me to prove the booking. Avon and Somerset are clearly being more difficult. Did they tell you what they would accept?

No
but you will be limited to only shoot land cleared by the Chief of police commonly called a Closed certificate if the land is already cleared for your cal or bigger you need do nothing more you can check this by asking the Fire arms Dept of the County the land is in who will tell you verbally on the phone
the Stalker your paying for the shoot maybe able to tell you this tho as I said its your FAC if hes wrong

Im trying to get a Condition on my FAC that means I can shoot under the stalkers Conditions i.e. open so no land check needed the same as I could if I Used his estate gun which could be identical to mine in every way bar serial number (ie under direct supervision etc ) but use my Gun which would be illegal under my Closed condition.

Yes, I took a receipt too, but that's not quite what I meant. I do mean specifically asking Mike if he could give you an email stating that you passed the shooting test and safety walk. He could categorically affirm that, and those are the bits that relate most directly to firearm safety (though it's pretty obvious that you're safe since you have a solid history of firearms ownership).

My local force were pretty good, simply signing up for a DSC1 would have been enough for them, as was simply having booked a stalk. They didn't even ask me to prove the booking. Avon and Somerset are clearly being more difficult. Did they tell you what they would accept?

When I sent my variation in before xmas for the rifle I did request that they gave me permission to use expanding on the course which I knew they had done for someone else and I also included a copy of my booking confirmation for the course but they called me to say they couldn't give me expanding as I didn't have "just cause" for the ammo but they would include a condition on my license to use the rifle at the course to exempt me as it wouldn't be a home office approved club but they failed to put that on my license but it wouldn't have been much use anyway as Mike said I couldn't use FMJ bullets on the course.

They have been quite good in the past with requests (although cocking up something on each of my variations), I will have to give them a call to see what criteria I need for them to change my license as I would prefer to use my rifle on any stalks as had real problems with the two different rifle setups at the weekend as the eye relief on the scope for prone shooting was less than ideal for me and the scope got me several times on the eyebrow (the bruise is almost gone) on Sunday and don't even talk about the shooting position we had on Saturday for prone that screwed my neck up, I don't think I've ever shot such bad groups (not even with 12g slug without sights). I do have the promise of some land later in the year, just hope that comes off as until its in writing nothing is solid, I've also obtained a number for someone that does paid stalks in my area from a gundog breeder at work so will follow up on that. I will dig out my copy of the home office firearms law to see what the guidance in that says about it all.

Back