Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10,000 bc

10,000 bc

Another bunch of muppets chucked in an environment they will never understand. Why do they never pick at least 50% practical people I will never know! (Actually I do, viewing figures)

Channel 5 for those that don't know

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    Another bunch of muppets chucked in an environment they will never understand. Why do they never pick at least 50% practical people I will never know! (Actually I do, viewing figures)

Channel 5 for those that don't know
    becsuse a bunch of people getting on with it and doing well would be dull as dishwater

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    becsuse a bunch of people getting on with it and doing well would be dull as dishwater
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    Exactly!
    Hence us all here on this site

Stan

Watched the first couple of episodes of this. There do seem to be one or two people with the right attitude and a few rudimentary skills that might do well, but the rest of them seem to be layabouts who eat more than their fair share of food and do nothing. Or find things to cry about instead of getting stuck in.

But it's reality TV and if there aren't arguments and tears it's no good.

I can understand them not knowing how best to gralloch and butcher the deer at the beginning. With no prior experience to speak of, (except a poacher who no doubt didn't know how to do it properly) I guess they did okay with that. But then not to even think about the best way to use the meat and let most of it get fly blown?? Then of course there was "shitgate" where one of the numpties who does nothing except eat took a dump in the camp rather than go to the latrines in the night.

Their thoughts on trying to catch some bigger game (there appear to be deer and boar) or indeed any game also seem to need a bit of work if they want to eat anything more than berries and acorns.

Ten years ago we a somewhat similar concept of a show here called "surviving Nugent". The recruited city folk to come out and do a week long reality show with a world famous Rock and Roller (Ted Nugent).

On one of the first episodes they roll up to his ranch, he greats them, they are all excited, and he shows them there camp site. Then he asks if they would like a chicken dinner. They all say yes, so he goes to the truck and brings back an axe, and a crate of live chickens. Embeds the axe in the log next to the fire and walks away.

eventually hunger gets the best of some of them and they manage to cleanly kill but horrendously dress and cook the birds.

Not all the show was that entertaining, but it was at least more interesting than most of the garbage on the TV

First I've heard of it, all I can think about is Raquel Welch in those skimpy furs.
    Last edited by private fraser; 04-02-2015 at 07:17.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    Ten years ago we a somewhat similar concept of a show here called "surviving Nugent". The recruited city folk to come out and do a week long reality show with a world famous Rock and Roller (Ted Nugent).

On one of the first episodes they roll up to his ranch, he greats them, they are all excited, and he shows them there camp site. Then he asks if they would like a chicken dinner. They all say yes, so he goes to the truck and brings back an axe, and a crate of live chickens. Embeds the axe in the log next to the fire and walks away.

eventually hunger gets the best of some of them and they manage to cleanly kill but horrendously dress and cook the birds.

Not all the show was that entertaining, but it was at least more interesting than most of the garbage on the TV
    surviving Nugent wa awesome... No trace of it anywhere nowadays, would love to see it again if anyone has any copies!!

The wife and I watched 10,000 BC and thought it was quite a laugh! Some people just haven't got a clue and I suspect that the program makers carefully chose the participants for their lack of common sense and intelligence purely to boost the viewing figures!
    Who with even the smallest amount of common sense is going to leave valuable meat lying around to get covered in blow fly eggs and attract predators?
    What about the chap who claimed to have found a great spot for forraging - and then got lost while trying to lead his mates to it?
    Even the wife laughed at the trap they built with the intention of catching a wild boar - My wife is not a "Hunter" by any stretch of the imagination but knew enough to realise that wild boar are tough critters and all that "trap" was going to do was to bounce off a wild boad and maybe pee it off a little!
    They believed that they had found a "game trail" so they promptly proceded to walk straight down it so that any game would have scented them and did a runner in double quick time!
    They have a professional archer on the "team" - Why haven't they nominated him to get straight out and try to get out after some fresh meat?
    They have 4 of them in one hut who thought it was fine to sit around and do nothing except eat a load of the food while the others were trying to work to improve their situation - I suspect that in pre-historic times those 4 would have been outcast from the "settlement" in double quick time!
    Programs like this show how much of a waste of space some people can be and how little idea they have about survival and make you wonder what chance the participants would have of surviving for more than a few days on their own in the real outdoor world! But then again, some of us are also dumb enough to watch this programs (Myself included) so who is the winner - The program makers!

I forced myself to watch up until the point where I spotted the safety shoes & one of them started crying because he missed his nan. I gave up in utter contempt following that.......the participants are obviously carefully-selected to ensure there's as much potential fro clash as possible. A utterly cringe-worthy result from an initial premise that had so much potential to be a seriously fascinating piece of experimental archaeology
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care