Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 243 load

Question 243 load

hi folks anybody suggest a couple of loads for a 243 1st one around 70gr then the second 100gr and what was the oal on your load and what cases many thanks the keeper

Have a look down through the reloading threads, they will give you some ideas.
    The Hodgdon site is also useful.
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Have had a great deal of success with 87gr Hornady SP using Lapua cases, CCi primers, 36.6 gr N140.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    36 Gr of H380 pushing out a 100gr sp interlock. T3 Lite Stainless/Synthetic. Obviously normal reloading caution applies, this suited my rifle, build up slowly and look for signs of pressure.......................................... .................................................. ..............................

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    36 Gr of H380 pushing out a 100gr sp interlock. T3 Lite Stainless/Synthetic. Obviously normal reloading caution applies, this suited my rifle, build up slowly and look for signs of pressure.......................................... .................................................. ..............................

TJ
    Good load,Load mine to 37gr H380 but work up to it carefully its just about on the max. I would suggest magnum primers
    with H380 as its a ball powder, I use Remington mag.primers.

TJ I usually use Hornady boat tail 100gr, did try a box Hornady interlock when my supplier didn't have what I wanted, found they were not opening up on Roe passing right through, and running 50-60 yards before dropping, exit hole same as entry
    no blood trail.

Have you experienced this with them or did I just get a bad batch? gone back to the boat tail.

my 70grain load is 39g h4895 and 70g nosler balistic tip in federal brass. i seated the bullet the same depth as the federal 100g spbt that i was getting the cases from. just put a factory in die wound the seater till it touched and seated the reloads. very fast and accurate 1/2 inch job good for charlie. I use 100gspbt over 33g h4895 for the deer, have shot muntie to red with this no bother. Not the fastest but it didnt concern me till i got a chrono, same seating depth and technique

pete

I find 70 gr Speer TNT , 45 gr of hogdon H380 an ideal round in mine OAL is 2605 in Winchester brass with a federal primer
    atb Brian

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post

Have you experienced this with them or did I just get a bad batch? gone back to the boat tail.
    To be honest, I never had any problems although, I was that happy with the .243, I neck shot 99% of the time, so it wasn't an issue. I will add though, It was ex forrestry woodland and most deer were shot about 70m or less. I did shoot a Roe Buck at about 15m, I chest shot it as I had a nano second to shoot, the exit hole was about 4 cm and it ran about 100m.

Sorry to go of thread.

TJ

Thanks TJ

Apologies for deviating from the thread.