Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst location you chose to shoot a deer in

Worst location you chose to shoot a deer in

Folks -

Much enjoying the "How close can you.." thread.

In an exchange of PMs with Dawnraider just now I was caused to relate the following anecdote and it struck me how it might make the beginnings of another fun thread:

I have a pal who lives at Kings Nympton in Devon. I was visiting him three years back and was with him, as an interested observer, when he shot a red deer hind in the boileroom with his 308. She kicked out, and ran 30 metres... straight over the edge of a very steep goil.

It was getting dark...

Half an hour later, we found her at the bottom, some 40 metres from the edge. It eventually took four of us (two more recruited from a warm farmhouse kitchen), a lot of rope and two quad bikes pulling at the same time, to extract her, gralloch out.

My lesson as a bystander (and then roped in, if you'll excuse the pun) was: Think carefully about where you shoot a red deer. It might run...

Anyone else pulled their trigger and then regretted it?
    Last edited by KevinF; 22-03-2010 at 19:47.
    KevinF -

Kevin, at the top of a long bank that runs very, very steeply down to the river avon. I think we lasered it at 237yds, but it seemed much, much longer when dragging a fallow buck back up the hill.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Somewhere on one of Flyboy 270's cameras, there is a short video run of Griff's brand new kevlar rope, attached to his quad on full chat, launching a Red Hind, steam catapult style, up a sheer face from a burn, times three!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

As I said to the lads on Saturday I was out as the boy on Argyll Estates looking for a stag. Well the head keeper could not find one for the guest. I was so chuffed when I spotted a beast lying in the heather. I was just about to say my piece when old Dolly cracked me over the shins with his stick. " I spotted him ten minutes ago but if you want to pull him over the top ( Days before argos and quads) Go ahead. 300 feet down the other side of the hill. I learned from that. Be careful or it csn get painful. Still feel the bruise 45 years later,
    Jim

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    A cracking day, very good company, beautiful setting, a pig of an extraction, even if it was half the carcass-

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...&daysprune=365

TJ

Inside a green house he preferred the contents to the grass smashed just about every pain of glass in it antlers and glass just don't get along .

been so many BAD days although, one morning I intercepted 5 large stags on a restock [I had been after them for a while] after the smoke cleared and my smuggness of dropping them all in quick succession I realised where they fell. 8 hours later countless swear words and a very bent and bruised quad I had them at roadside, I swore then to never look into that burn again!
    A week later I saw this big stag down in a restock burn, after the gralloch I thought to myself WHY?

Having dragged up and down many a hill [I quite enjoy dragging deer down hill, it's a very satisfying end to a day] I would happily never shoot another deer on a west coast restock, especially below the road!!!!!!!!!!!

Not quite shooting as such but had to dart a 2yr old stag on a sleeting winters day. The stag got to that stage of very nearly collapsing but just managing to stay on his feet when he decided to walk into the lake where the buoyancy supplied by the water enabled him to fight off the collapse long enough for him to paddle his way across to an island about 10 yards from the shore. On reaching land the inevitable happened and down he went. Had to strip off, swim across and pull him back over. Never been so cold before or since.

Wild winter's day and shot a hind and calf at dusk across a deep and wide gorge on Skye with an old colleague. When I looked over the edge of the gorge to find a way down and across the height and width of the spate river far below took me by surprise. A tumult of black, frothy, swirling deep peaty water and I had to swim across with rope round my waist, other end held by my colleague, rope up the beasts, swim back and then between the two of us pull them back over the river and then drag them up the steep, muddy, slippery track to the top. ******** decision to shoot them, but it was restock and they had to be nailed.

Other days I've regretted shooting reds in clear-fell areas where they come to for the first flush of green growing back. Lots of deep timber debris left over from the felling and as like as not the beasts will fall through the gaps and get stuck deep down. Dragging beasts through that **** is hell, especially at night when you're falling over everything and trying not to get impaled on branches.

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    been so many BAD days although, one morning I intercepted 5 large stags on a restock [I had been after them for a while] after the smoke cleared and my smuggness of dropping them all in quick succession I realised where they fell. 8 hours later countless swear words and a very bent and bruised quad I had them at roadside, I swore then to never look into that burn again!
    A week later I saw this big stag down in a restock burn, after the gralloch I thought to myself WHY?

Having dragged up and down many a hill [I quite enjoy dragging deer down hill, it's a very satisfying end to a day] I would happily never shoot another deer on a west coast restock, especially below the road!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yup, been there done that.