Deer DNA used for first time in UK to prosecute poacher

Thanks for the offer Taff but I was just kidding, in the hopes that you'd maybe have a bit of empathy with the victim of the crime.

It would be a very poor or very unlucky poacher who got caught on his first occasion poaching. The judge should take that into account and take his firearms and vehicle away. Then they could make a proceeds of crime order against him to make an example of him to all the other poachers out there.
Obviously in his hurry to take the shot he checked for a good back stop and made sure that no hikers were near by?

Thieving scum the lot of them.

I gave up shooting through lack of land etc .. i`m only 53 so judging by this old boy there`s still hope for me yet! :D

It's absolutely shocking he has not had his firearms taken away, esp after 6 convictions. Surely hhe's breaching quite a few conditions. How did he keep getting it renewed?

The sun made a big deal about his 'rifle' being worth £2500 and as mentioned the 5TAG plate is on a Jag (so must be right then) for such a tiny fine

At a minium his car should be being confiscated along with his gun, any salmon netter gets there car plus poaching gear confiscated, surely even more dodgy when firarems are involoved

Very hard to believe any stalker can sympathise with this in any way, how would u feel if this was happening on ur ground or that 'specail buck' u were saving went missing 1 nite.

Law in this country is a joke , it's not bout justice ... It's a sheer lottery down to what judge is in charge on the day and some sentences are jaw dropping unbelievable !!!

Poaching is a crime and something that we are all aware of is that Poaching is on the increase throughout the UK and something that can effect every one of the members of this forum!
Regardless of the age of those caught I believe that the punishment should be severe enough to make any poacher think twice about going out poaching again as that is the only way we are going to see a chance of halting in the rise of poaching offences.
Where firearms are involved it should bring about an automatic instant confliscation of all firearms and shotguns held by the culprit and a lifetime revocation of the FAC and/or SGC plus confliscation of any vehicle(s) used - Regardless of the age or status of the culprit. This sort of punishment should be made mandatory and not left to the Magistrates discression!
How else are we going to try to stamp out poaching?

At 70yrs old , he,s had his £170 many times over, good luck to the old boy.

He has been poaching in the area all his life ,and shooting anywhere he thinks with no regard who pays the lease has been a pain for years and you say good luck would be different if it was yourself jail would be better shotz

So everyone seems to know this chap, he had poached the area all his life, been caught and prosecuted six times, made a fortune out of it, bought a house, a jag , bought the number plate stag, if all this is common knowledge , how has he got away with it,

MS This is a crime but the fact remains its not that big a deal on the scale of things. What a complete waist of public money bringing this old fella to justice.

6pointer get real he has been at this all his life if you paid thousands of pounds I don't think you would feel the same way this site is getting worse

Nobody with a answer to how he gets away with it ?

locharber is a very large area with relatively few police officers per square mile. As for getting away with it - knowing somebody does it and proving someone does it in a court are two very different things... after all that's why we have so many drug dealers around.....

So everyone seems to know this chap, he had poached the area all his life, been caught and prosecuted six times, made a fortune out of it, bought a house, a jag , bought the number plate stag, if all this is common knowledge , how has he got away with it,
Nail....head....hit.

?

I'm not going to get into the ins and outs of it on a forum but there is more to this than you read.

Last edited:
It isn't always what you know, it's who you know. And sometimes it can be about what you know about the people you know.
Not as I would infer under hand goings on of course. :rolleyes:

Maybe the police are as sympathetic towards him as you are Taff? Poor old man, give him a break! What harm is he doing anyway? :rolleyes:

He has been prosecuted 6 yes 6 times for the same offence, nothing to do with the police, they have done there job.
I based my judgement on the report, that was the Original OP, which so did everyone else, but they decided to label him a scum bag. Now the evidence is building we can all make a better judgement of the individual , it's all about not making impulse judgements, if I passed you in a supermarket wearing your stalking gear , " I might think look at that idiot" not knowing you were rushing to pick up a emergency prescription.

He has been prosecuted 6 yes 6 times for the same offence, nothing to do with the police, they have done there job.
I based my judgement on the report, that was the Original OP, which so did everyone else, but they decided to label him a scum bag. Now the evidence is building we can all make a better judgement of the individual , it's all about not making impulse judgements, if I passed you in a supermarket wearing your stalking gear , " I might think look at that idiot" not knowing you were rushing to pick up a emergency prescription.

It was me that called him thieving scum. I didn't jump to that conclusion, I based it on experience. Sorry but the fact that you and Davie have come out in support of him has not changed my opinion one little bit.

Last edited:
Back