reticule first or second focal plane

wraith

what reticule do you use and why. first or second focal plane and if you had a choice would you change your existing scope for one or the other personaly i like second plane where the cross hair ramains constant and the image gets bigger but cross remains the same sise as i find i can get better groups using the finer ret and that first focal plane reticules hinder tight shooting your coments lets see if we can keep this post on a level par thanks

I tend to favour fixed-mag sights, there being 6x42 on .22LR, 6.5x55 and .308.

On my .22-250 there is a 6-24x56 with a fine reticle in the second plane, allowing for longer shots at smaller things; a slight drawback is that in low-light conditions it is sometimes necessary to use turn on the illuminated spot in the middle.

Also, the spare sight for the 6x55 is a 3-12x50 whose reticle has multiple stadia which, with cunning zeroing and calculation, give useful holdover points at longer ranges (not very long ranges, I hasten to add). This reticle is in the first plane, so although it gets thicker at higher mag, the holdover points are always true. The reticle thickness has never been a problem - fox-size or bigger targets only with this rifle.

Personal thing but I used to prefer fixed mag 4x40 for the hill and when I began to do more Roe stalking went on to 6x42
6x42 is now on the.22LR and I have a variable on the full bore 3-10x50 fine reticle in the second plane.

Now its usually set on 7x find I just need that little bit extra now especially at dusk.

Being an owner of both, I prefer 2nd focal plane, 1st focal plane is a bit annoying in that the reticle becomes to small at low magnification and sometimes obscuring too much at high magnification. The only benefit I can see for 1st focal plane is for range finding type reticles which will then work at all magnifications...

Maybe you should turn this into a poll :)

I prefer 2nd focal plane, 1st focal plane is a bit annoying in that the reticle becomes to small at low magnification and sometimes obscuring too much at high magnification.

Ditto! The worst culprits being the early Nickel Marburg variables such as the 1.5-6 x 42 powers. Strewth! The reticule looked like a bloody great farmer's gatepost at 6 x!

I use either Zeiss 4 x 32 or 6 x 32 or the same maker's 3-9 x 36 with their version of the duplex reticule.

I actually prefer first focal plane for stalking, as the reticle stays the same size in relation to the target. This can be useful for stadiametric range finding as you get used to how the animal appears in relation to the cross. However, I use one with a very fine reticle so that it doesn't obscure the target at high mag. The problem with a fine reticle though is that it is difficult to see in poor light!:(
This is easily overcome with a illuminated one though!:D
I've tried so many scopes now - fixed, variable, 56 objective, 25x mag etc.....
I've finally settled on one which I believe is perfect for my needs.
Swaro 3-12 x 50 whith illuminated 4N reticle. Nice little compact scope, ample mag for range work and open areas but low mag too for close woodland work. Very fine 'floating cross' reticle which lights up variably as reqiured. Great low light performance.
Second focal plane is probably better for range shooting, but I definitely prefer first for stalking.;)
MS:)

I'd go for an illuminated 2nd plane every time. I feel that it make the scope more flexible.

PHJLA

I have both, and to be fair, I prefer 1st focal, I suppose it's what I'm used to, both Mil Dot, however, with 2nd plane Mildot, it's doesn't work. The range can't be accurate due to the Mildot not moving in relation tpo the target.

I won't change my 2nd focal plane scope unless I win the lottery.

TJ

I have a 2nd focal plane, but when I have the chance to buy another it will be in the 1st focal plane.
The reticule I have is TDS plex like it, but the referance points are relative to the individual
magnification,just in the 1st they stay constant.
Just 16x is no good in failing light 8x better but then my hold overs up the swanny -1 paddle( 1 inch high at 100m so no real need for hold over, just something else to play on your mind when you dont need it)

Back