Thread: Question for the legal eagles and tyre experts

Question for the legal eagles and tyre experts

Hi all

I have a 2010 for ranger, the manufactures label on the inside of the door state a tyre size of 245/70/r16 with a tyre load/speed of 111s should be fitted.

I was looking to fit general grabbers AT's in the above size, however, general grabber don't make a tyre with the load index that ford state should be fitted. In my tyre size they only quote a 107 load index.

My questions are if I fit these tyres to my ranger am I

a) Breaking the law
    b) Would my insurance be void if I made a claim
    c) Would it be dangerous to put a tyre on a vehicle with a load index under the manufactures recommended minimum load

I am sure that there are ranger owners out there or any other truck owners which have tyres fitted which are under the load index the vehicle manufacturer recommended weight.

I look forward to your replies.

Tony.

Very few (if any) private owners run their tyres at the maximum load limit or speed, and that limit is very conservative in the first place to err very strongly on the side of safety.

Fit them & don't give it a second thought. If it worries you stick with the manufacturers recommendations, but be aware that these are a necessary compromise between handling, wear, economy and safety so are a bit of a jack-of-all-trades by definition
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

a) No
    b) Possibly but unlikely
    c) No (if your talking about Grabbers A/T's)

The load rating and speed rating are separate from each other, The number 111 is the load rating the speed rating will be a letter somewhere between N and ZR (Normally)
    If your worried instead of using General Grabber A/T's buy some BF Goodrich A/T's they have a stronger sidewall and a higher load rating (113).

Hope this helps.

Off at a slight tangent here, but as you mention the insurance robbers, I was listening to the radio this week, heard how a lady God botherer had her claim for total loss on her car refused, as she had "Modified" it, by applying stickers,proclaiming her beliefs to the world. So where might our association/s sticker/s place us, never mind the simple need for a different spec tyre than manufacturers state???????
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Off at a slight tangent here, but as you mention the insurance robbers, I was listening to the radio this week, heard how a lady God botherer had her claim for total loss on her car refused, as she had "Modified" it, by applying stickers,proclaiming her beliefs to the world. So where might our association/s sticker/s place us, never mind the simple need for a different spec tyre than manufacturers state???????
    Don't worry about it Steve I saw the lady on a watchdog type programme that we receive down here called X-Ray. The woman is a complete fruit cake, I think there's more to it than was reported in the papers and on the radio. You don't know what she told her insurers in the first place. The insurance company made a settlement eventually.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.