Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muntjac in the Scottish Borders Shoot it or Leave it?

Muntjac in the Scottish Borders Shoot it or Leave it?

Although the title states Scottish Borders its open to anyone or anywhere concerening Muntjac where none are reportedly sighted.
    Heres the Senario.
    Your on your permission, you glass an area and you spot what you think is a Muntjac.
    You stalk in abit closer you do indeed confirm it is a Muntjac, your also within shooting distance, taking a picture isnt an option.
    What do you do Shoot it? Or leave it?
    Just trying to get an insight on what people would do in that situation i dont have muntjac.
    I posted something similar on FB and was quite surprised at the answers.
    Last edited by mjd237; 05-02-2015 at 13:16.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it. No natural predators and a breeding cycle as active as theirs can very quickly lead to problems I've been reading. I believe ENH recommend a culling proportion of around 30% just to keep them under control in the South of England? Shoot it. Every time
    Last edited by Woodsmoke; 05-02-2015 at 12:57.
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

i dont have muntjac but would love to see a resident population in my area.[/QUOTE]

Your SNH's worst nightmare mate...

I would advise that you Google or get access to some literature regarding "ecological aspects and impacts non-native species of deer" have on the environment and our native deer in the UK.

Hopefully it will convince you otherwise

Shoot it. It's an invasive non-native species, known for damaging the native woodland. It's unlikely to have migrated naturally if it's in the Borders, so it's been introduced. There is no compelling argument to allow a population to become established

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    i dont have muntjac but would love to see a resident population in my area.

Your SNH's worst nightmare mate...

I would advise that you Google or get access to some literature regarding "ecological aspects and impacts non-native species of deer" have on the environment and our native deer in the UK.

Hopefully it will convince you otherwise[/QUOTE]
    I do apologise not looking for an arguement or slagging match however i will edit my post and not upset you any more thanks for educating me.

Yes I would shoot it..after all i am a deer stalker... that actually leaves the armchair..
    .22lr, .22lr .222, .223, .243, .270, .308 , 12g fac, 12g, 12g, 12g, 12g
    and still growing.....

They're very tasty.

And if there's one, there will be more. And more. And MORE.

As you say, you don't have them & possibly won't unless as mentioned it was an escapee or had hitched a lift...it would arouse my curiosity to the point I would really need to have to both keep an eye on it for a few days & get it on camera, that way I could possibly learn a little more about the individual in particular, once that was done, I would start putting a selection of recipes I know in order of favorite's, go get some vegie's from the garden and pop it in the freezer..

I would enjoy having them on my shoots...just as i would enjoy the other non native deer we have in this country.....
    .22lr, .22lr .222, .223, .243, .270, .308 , 12g fac, 12g, 12g, 12g, 12g
    and still growing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it. No natural predators and a breeding cycle as active as theirs can very quickly lead to problems I've been reading. I believe ENH recommend a culling proportion of around 30% just to keep them under control in the South of England? Shoot it. Every time
    The problem with the South of Englsnd is that munties often live in urban or semi-urban areas and there is always a reservoir of deer in un shot areas that just fill back in the culled areas. Even those can be difficult with a high incidence of jogger, dog walkers and the like who can be in the woods (off the footpaths) at ridiculous times of day. I used to shoot over a 2000 acre estate in the Chilterns and we had barely 800 acres that were safe to shoot in and we still had to be aware of joggers in the woods even at 04:00hrs.
    Last edited by paul k; 05-02-2015 at 14:17.