Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yukon photon xt

Yukon photon xt

As i have tried and tried and tried to get a straight answer from scott country with ref why they recommend fitting a set of adjustable mounts if purchasing the yukon photon xt i still have had no reply as why they have the link on there website,,,

Is there problems with the unit ? i would like to purchase one at kelso but im not going to bother if they cant give me a straight answer.....
    .22lr, .22lr .222, .223, .243, .270, .308 , 12g fac, 12g, 12g, 12g, 12g
    and still growing.....

The reason is that the unit does not zero like the conventional scope. Rather it has an electronic crosshair and you move that.
    if your scope is not mounted spoton the rifle. Manufacturing tolerances etc. you can end up with the crosshair in a corner of the scope. So adjustable mounts overcome this problem allowing you to get the crosshair pretty central
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Cheers
    and still growing.....

No The unit appears good to me.
    The new photon XT 4.6 has a certain amount of adjustment
    and the reticule is always centrally located.
    Mounted on fixed high 30mm mounts on a CZ .22 mine was spot on for windage
    but still a little low for elevation at the maximum setting.
    but I`m managing for the time being with the mil dot reticule.

adustable mounts give you more leeway

interesting to see what others have done

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    The reason is that the unit does not zero like the conventional scope. Rather it has an electronic crosshair and you move that.
    if your scope is not mounted spoton the rifle. Manufacturing tolerances etc. you can end up with the crosshair in a corner of the scope. So adjustable mounts overcome this problem allowing you to get the crosshair pretty central
    This is the correct info

The problem with the Photon XT is that the tube does not line up with the bore in most cases & they often need a lift at the back to get them to zero at shortish ranges (which the scope is best operated at). This is the only real downside of an otherwise excellent system.

You can adjust the crosshair but that is done on the screen & the whole reticule has to be moved off to the bottom left hand corner if you don't get a set of mounts that allow you to change the POI so that it lines up with the cross hairs when they are in the middle of the screen (i.e. without adjustment). I, like many, had to buy a pair of mounts with built in height & windage adjustments just to get the XT to zero properly; so had to spend another 60 on top of the NV unit. You can shim the back ring up with tape etc, as the vertical adjustment is the one that needs the most movement to get the unit zeroed; some people use gaffer tape etc..

Sportsmatch adjustable mounts with both elevation & windage is what most people seem to go for if you are putting it on a rime or airgun with airgun type rails.

Thanks Neumo
    appears best solution is adjustable mounts.

If you have to use the full 30 clicks adjustment (each click is about a minute apparently)
    left/right/up and down then the reticule will be off centre ( but not right in the corner.)
    which can be off putting
    my windage is spot on, just the elevation is out of the adjustment zone.

There are quite a few video reviews on u-tube and all are pretty positive.
    Read the comments on this one re zeroing and sight picture.
    Overall it still seems a good deal, bit quirky but it's new technology.

ps... I was quite impressed with the daytime performance of the 'scope in this one...

Last edited by private fraser; 06-02-2015 at 12:58.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

So you may aswell say its 460 for the set up then....
    and still growing.....

i have the original turret one and its pretty good day and night . need to play with it more , mine is on my .22lr semi and daytime grouping is not bad considering all you see is a black dot at 75 yards lol Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10945109_10152607150219149_1205276687_n.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	52503