Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me some good budget clothing

Recommend me some good budget clothing

Can I have some recommendations on good budget clothing as I'm looking to kit myself out with new jacket, trousers, gloves etc as I found that my Jack Wolfskin walking jacket is fine for when you are on the move and generating heat but didn't cut the mustard at the weekend when standing in a field with a strong wind blasting you.

I'd love to have the budget for some nice Harkila stuff but that's not going to happen in the near future, so interested to get recommendations for decent cheaper stuff but not army surplus.

Thanks

Im not quite sure why, but from what I see most hunters and sporting gun people like to wear a 1 jacket does it all type thing. I think your best bet would be to layer properly, so get a decent thermal top base layer, and good fleece mid layer, a soft down jacket for when its not raining and then an outer layer for extreme wind and or rain. I know it sounds like much more money etc, but you will really appreciate it when you can have the perfect comfort in all weathers as a result :-)Most of the above you could purchase from a decent outdoors shop, the only thing that you may struggle to find in an appropriate colour or pattern would be the waterproof, although dare i say it you could just have a military surplus one ;-) depends how worried you are with that side as i know you did ask for non military surplusregardsKS

as above layers and a good wax jacket is hard to beat.

Why rule out army surplus? There is no doubt in my mind that the windproof smock and surplus goretex combination make the best possible clothing system in terms of jackets. The surplus boots, Haix and Altberg, are also good if you can find somewhere with them in stock.

For trousers I'm afraid I wear Harkila as I haven't found anything that works better.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Always been happy with Hoggs of Fife gear. I've worn a Sportsmans fleece coat this winter and been warm and dry. Also wear their waxed treggings which are excellent for the price. Think they've an end of season sale on at the moment too.

Deerhunter make some great stuff and there is generally a good bargain to be had on the bay of evil!
    Some of the more modern Army surplus boots are very good. Look at Matterhorns, Meindls, Danner or pro-boots and you'll find some goretex bargains.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by allan450 View Post
    as above layers and a good wax jacket is hard to beat.
    I find the most sartorially challenging activities are those when you have to combine energetic walking followed by standing around a lot. The worst combination is if you dress for the standing and then you have to deal with the refrigerant effect of the sweating from the walking.

For beating which has just this scenario, I have found a Helly Hansen Lifa HHDry base layer top (25), a Jack Wolfskin Shirt (with a airtex yoke and vent) (35) and a good old Barbour border jacket.

The Barbour I buy second hand from ebay for 40. Monthly waxed I find them water, wind proof and breathable. 90% of the time throughout the season I have the Barbour open, zipping only if walking into the wind/sleet.

The Helly Hansen always feels dry and I do not get the clammy chilling effect. I may not get very warm but crucially I do not get cold.

On occasion when bitter I have used a thin zippable fleece (15) under the Barbour, but have often regretted it if there has been more walking than standing.

For beating I wear North Face Paramount Peak nylon convertible trousers (65) under leggings (15), for stalking I bought some Harkila pro hunters (130) second hand off here.

If it is dry I sometimes swap the Barbour for a Camouflage jacket when stalking. The Barbour blends very well with wet tree trunks when its raining...

I resisted artificial fabrics for years because my sweat reacted to acrylics and others appallingly. Helly Hansen and Jack Wolfskin suits me fine, almost fragrant!

Alan

ps I have a pair of Sealskinz general purpose work gloves, which I do not think they make any more, but I noticed they now do a smart phone glove which would prevent 50% of the times I get cold fingers because you cannot operate the touchscreen! Warmer weather I wear thin neoprene camo. gloves and always a camo. fleece face mask to reduce white flash.
    Last edited by Alantoo; 06-02-2015 at 15:32. Reason: forgot the gloves

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Why rule out army surplus? There is no doubt in my mind that the windproof smock and surplus goretex combination make the best possible clothing system in terms of jackets. The surplus boots, Haix and Altberg, are also good if you can find somewhere with them in stock.

For trousers I'm afraid I wear Harkila as I haven't found anything that works better.
    Only ruling out army surplus as I'd like to wear it for bad weather when doing Practical Shotgun comps but mine and many other clubs have banned camouflage clothing and it also looks like the NRA are looking at banning it at Bisley too.

I bought a Deerhunter Montana jacket a couple of months ago. Zip in fleece, waterproof membrane and hood, for just over 200. No complaints so far.
    CH

Quote Originally Posted by Primer View Post
    Only ruling out army surplus as I'd like to wear it for bad weather when doing Practical Shotgun comps but mine and many other clubs have banned camouflage clothing and it also looks like the NRA are looking at banning it at Bisley too.
    Not all military surplus is camo.....this was advertised on here recently, and looks like a good bit of kit - and not camo:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ighlight=smock

Bet you can find similar on ebay. Ditto w/proof overtrousers, etc.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.