Thread: Hitlers Hunting Experiment 2100 More 4

Hitlers Hunting Experiment 2100 More 4

Starting shortly, might be interesting.

Thanks Glyn, saw that but then Mrs OShay saw 'Hitler' so am a bit stuffed now; out of interest can you give me a nudge ahead of Match of the Day?
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Was this any good? I was really keen to see it then fell asleep!

Yes I thought it was really interesting. After watching it I did think it odd that other owners of large private hunting estates haven't tried similar. I know in NZ the selectively breed red deer to have huge antlers and in Texas there are ranches with fairly rare African game to hunt, but I don't know of any place that has tried to cross breed or selectively bred something new to hunt.

It was an interesting programme, but made no effort to discover/explore exactly 'what' hunting cattle was produced (e.g. a specimen skeleton or similar). Other than it did a good job of highlighting just how loathsome, heinous and cruel the Nazis were (20 000 killed so Goering could have a hunting ground); nothing new there, except their plans (made fairly publicly) for taking over parts of Poland primeval forest were made two years before the outbreak of WW2.
    It amazes that non one picked up on this at the time!

What did I learn:
    - Goering was a massive hunting fan
    - He was also a murdering b---d, which we knew already
    - Somehow people didn't notice that, or turned a blind eye
    - Some Nazi scientists were 'reverse breeding' cattle breeds to get to an ancient/more wild breed suitable for Arians to hunt
    - They sort of made one up in looks, but not in genetic traits; so it failed; basically a bull fighting bull and a Yak but with psychosis and a personality disorder
    - The project failed and the Soviets basically killed what is known as 'Hitler's Cows' - no surprise there really.

That was it. I'd be much more interested in a programme on hunting in India during the British occupation, there are some great books on the subject.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

'Hitler's Cows' Would that be Aurochs? (Didn't see the programme but have previously heard of the Nazi's plans to try and recreate them).

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    'Hitler's Cows' Would that be Aurochs? (Didn't see the programme but have previously heard of the Nazi's plans to try and recreate them).
    The programme was about them trying to recreate aurochs yes. Not sure thebNazis ever really got there tho.

They said they got them looking the part just not quite as big but genetically they were just domestic cattle that looked different.

There are some left called Hecks cattle but I don't think any are left wild in the woods but kept as domestic cattle.

Apart from the Hecks there have been a few other attempts to get near the Auroch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurochs

I've eaten steak from the current largest bovine, the Gaur, a cull male calf from Copenhagen Zoo, (why should the big cats get all the best bits!), and very tasty it was.

Attachment 52668

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaur

Nice!
    WSC 1942