Stock repair

bobjs

If you had to glue a small section of stock back on a stocks what glue would you use ?

Thanks

Bob,

Have often used Brownells Acraglass for stock repairs. The bond ended up stonger than the surrounding wood, and I have never had a joint fail. Yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles

Epoxy glue like Araldite would also do. I would prefer slow setting epoxy over rapid/quick/fast setting. Mix well.
edi

Is this a wood stock Bob ?
If it is then a decent waterproof wood glue, even weatherproof PVA is stronger than the wood your glueing.

Neil. :)

Cheers all,

Its a small section of the fore stock on a browning just about 1/2" long and is a wedge shape.

I tried Pva glue and it held for about 3 hours and then after fitting the forfend it came of in my hand. I was thinking of trying a home made brass pin but the wood is very thin and it's not my gun,

So glue needs to be the option as the gun will be placed for sale when the work is done with this information in the sales description,

Thank you,

I don't need a lot so if anyone local has this in stock or willing to donate a blob of glued give me a shout please,

Cheers. Again

Bob,

"Bob the borrower"...... A quid at B&Q?
Did your boss not glue King Tuts chin back on recently?

Cheers RD,

In that case I'll go get some, it's right at the end of the stock RD were it buts up against the action and as soon as I place the forfend back on you open the action a couple of times and it falls off, a right pain but just trying to fix it and then sell it on for a work mate who has had his ticket removed due to I'll health,

Bob,

Cheers all,

Its a small section of the fore stock on a browning just about 1/2" long and is a wedge shape.

I tried Pva glue and it held for about 3 hours and then after fitting the forfend it came of in my hand. I was thinking of trying a home made brass pin but the wood is very thin and it's not my gun,

So glue needs to be the option as the gun will be placed for sale when the work is done with this information in the sales description,

Thank you,

I don't need a lot so if anyone local has this in stock or willing to donate a blob of glued give me a shout please,

Cheers. Again

Bob,
you sometimes get a little tube free bob with an ikea double wardrobe ,or anything from argos or at a pinch spiders webs are pound for pound stronger than steel and those are everywhere for nowt,:norty:

Oh you are a naughty boy Red.. not a lot one can say except Tut..Tut !

Its the Scotsman in him,

I have mates who will drive miles to borrow something rather than buy it, and I'm the same now, as for the wee tubs of Pva glue in furniture kits, that's what I have tried and it was pants,
I
have some araldite glue ( spelling) so I may try that, but it is such a small bit of wood to fix but it's on the top left hand side of the forestock and you can not miss it,:(

Bob,

Normal PVA will work, but it needs to be a decent fit as it won't fill gaps, it also takes 24 hours for full strength.

Neil. :)

Hi Bob i have some 151 epoxy if u want it ,you WILL not shift it , when its cured as it what i use on the shooting sticks i sell
and there not cheep and i dont want the joints to fail or move in ANY way
up to you ?
you would have to come to me this time

Hi Bob i have some 151 epoxy if u want it ,you WILL not shift it , when its cured as it what i use on the shooting sticks i sell
and there not cheep and i dont want the joints to fail or move in ANY way
up to you ?
you would have to come to me this time

Hi bud no bother I'll have to try something as Neil says the Pva should have done it but it came off to quick for me to sell the gun with that done to it,

Ill drop you a pm and come over when your ready, or as always your welcome to come over to the castle for a cup of coffee and a walk around the grounds :)

Bob

Back